986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Belt tensioner inquiry (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76070)

Starter986 08-27-2019 08:32 AM

Belt tensioner inquiry

I believed a noise surfaced after a long drive yesterday. Nothing that causes me worry. Yet. I pulled the engine cover behind the seat, and the top engine cover... thinking I might hear from the the noice might be originating. That said...

I remembered advice shared on this board to remove the belt to ascertain if a noise might be internal. I've removed/returned the belt once before when I replaced the WP. Anyhow... I started turning the bolt on the tensioner... it starts to "loosen" the belt... but I find that I'd have to slkip something under the belt on a pully to "lift" the belt off. When I was turning the bolt on the tensioner, and before there was suficient "looseness".. the bolt wanted to turn (counter clockwise of course), and it did, but then there was a point where the bolt would keep going counter clockwise without the tensioner itself moving... almost like if I kept turning that bolt it would come off.

Am I missing something? When last I removed the belt I recall I could "torque" on theat tensioner bolt fairly well and the belt came off without having to encourage it off. I hope that makes sense.

Question: Should that tensioner bolt feel like it is just spinning? Should I have to slip a screwdriver under the belt, while loosening the tensioner, to get the belt off.

Thank you.

maytag 08-27-2019 08:57 AM

having just did this yesterday: the tensioner bolt should be turned clockwise, not counter-clockwise. the tensioner pulley will move "left", which is counter-intuitive when you;re turning the thing clockwise... but that's correct.
My gut says you're turning it counter-clockwise would eventually loosen the bolt and the pulley would come off... though I've never done that, so I dunno. ;-)

Starter986 08-27-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 601814)
having just did this yesterday: the tensioner bolt should be turned clockwise, not counter-clockwise. the tensioner pulley will move "left", which is counter-intuitive when you;re turning the thing clockwise... but that's correct.
My gut says you're turning it counter-clockwise would eventually loosen the bolt and the pulley would come off... though I've never done that, so I dunno. ;-)

So... BAM. You are correct. I buttoned it all back up, but may hit it this weekend.

Thank you, Sir. :cheers:

Geof3 08-28-2019 11:28 PM

Either way, that bolt, which is actually a 24mm nut, the bolt comes from behind, is red threadlocked on. So the “nut” shouldn’t turn at all without a bit of force and the bolt itself needs to be secured from the back of the pully.

Starter986 08-29-2019 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 601952)
Either way, that bolt, which is actually a 24mm nut, the bolt comes from behind, is red threadlocked on. So the “nut” shouldn’t turn at all without a bit of force and the bolt itself needs to be secured from the back of the pully.

You are correct. Thank you. :cheers: