986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Parking Curbs (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7597)

drburton 09-30-2006 05:30 PM

Parking Curbs

I'm getting a bit concerned about parking curbs and the front end of my boxster. Seems like everywhere I park there is one of those big concrete parking curbs at the front of the space. Generally, I just don't pull in very far because it is apparent that the boxster is not going to clear the curb.

Lately I'm feeling a bit like this is Russian Roulette, if I pull in just a little to far i'm going to tear up the front of the car. I'm actually posting this b/c I came very close tonight, actually pulled in too far and got really lucky that the front cleared the curb by less than a centimeter.

My everyday driver is an SUV, so never really gave parking curbs a second thought in the past, but I know it is just a matter off time before I get careless and will be spending some time at a body shop.

Not sure this post really has a point, but does anyone else lose sleep over parking curbs :eek:

deliriousga 09-30-2006 07:44 PM

Back into parking places. The back end is higher so it doesn't hit the curbs. Besides, it's better anyway to prevent backing into a moving car when you leave. Much easier/safer to back in between parked cars than to back out into moving traffic. ;)

MNBoxster 09-30-2006 07:51 PM

Hi,

I don't actually lose sleep, but I hear ya. I've beached the car on a couple, but so far, no severe damage.

Well, let me revise that. Mrs. MNBoxster and I were on a Fall Color Tour last year in WI on Hwy. 35 along the river. We pulled into a wayside rest/scenic overlook and I caught the parking curb pretty good. Got her out of the car and I pushed it back off the curb without damaging the bumper cover, but I did put a tear in the OEM Bra which I had on, so I guess that's what saved the bumper.

I also noticed that speed bumps can be a challenge too. I live in Highland Pk. in St. Paul, and our local Lunds has one which the 4X4 guys eye with envy, I'm always careful on that one. Also, we frequently go to L'hotel Sofitel for Sunday breakfast and their's are also a little treacherous.

My Esprit's front air dam has 3.5" of clearance, so I've become a little conditioned to looking out for them. Fortunately for the Esprit, it's fibreglass and so if I ding it, a little epoxy, a minute with a sanding drum on a dremel and a dab of touch-up paint cures all. But, with the Boxster's urethane bumper, things will get more interesting...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99