986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   43deg F w/ top down! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7595)

z12358 09-30-2006 11:24 AM

43deg F w/ top down!

A small poll. Just wondering, what's the coldest outside temp you've driven your Box with the top down?

This (sunny, crisp) morning I dropped the top, and only few minutes later I saw that it was 43F outside(!). Had a cotton sweater, baseball hat, max heat on the seats (best option EVER), 3/4 heat with 3/4 blast on the heater, windows up. Wasn't cold at all. Never thought one could drive a convertible while this cold and still be comfortable. This car never ceases to amaze me. Too bad I'm hibernating it for the winter.

After the drive:
1. washed it with Optimum No-Rinse (first time, fantastic product!),
2. sprayed wheels with Porsche wheel cleaner (fantastic!)
3. a round of 3M Hand Glaze to get rid of some swirls (first time, fantastic product!)
4. a fight with fiance cause cleaning car takes too long
5. a round of Meguiars NXT spray wax (fantastic, what else?)
6. waxed wheels with Porsche Hart Wax. Any wax would do. Extremely good for protection against break dust. Dirt just rinsed off after the DE couple fo weeks ago.
7. cleaned leather with Porsche Leather Cleaner
8. conditioned leather with Porsche Leather Conditioner

Then went on another ride. Right now having lunch at a local cafe, typing this, and watching as people gawk at the Box parked outside -- all black and shiny with the top down. All ages, kids, old folks, about 80% of people passing by it take a second look. 30% of them do a lap around it.

Darn it, started to rain... Have to go close the top. :mad:
An older guy with a dog sitting outside says: "Nice machine." :)

Did I mention that I absolutely love this car!

blinkwatt 09-30-2006 12:02 PM

This past winter I couldn't help myself a couple of times and I lowered the top at around 35 degress. I know that's not recommended due to my plastic top(It could crack).Meh I didn't care,and lucky I got away with it everytime. I just put on a scarf & beenie and cruised.

Marc Gelefsky 09-30-2006 12:13 PM

In the Targa... 36F or so Brrr!!! But that car has KILLER heat!
In the Boxster... I will let you know, I have only owned it a few months, I have a glass window top so I should be ok in the cccold!

I was cruising aroind this morning in a 07 Vette Conv with the top down, it was about 49 out. The vette does not cut the wind as well as a 986 or my old Targa.

bmussatti 09-30-2006 12:20 PM

The first day I picked-up my car in late March, I did over 400 miles top down in 45-47 degree weather. Speeds were about 60 MPH average.

I did about 400 miles today with the top down. The morning temp was 51!

FIG 09-30-2006 05:00 PM

I had my roof off in 4 C (what ever that is in F)....love it! :cool:

jeffsquire 09-30-2006 09:54 PM

top down in sub 60 degree F.

THere's a reason why Porsche offers heated seats: so you can keep the top down in COLD WEATHER!! ANd you wondered why.

Now if I could only find a pair (of seats, that is) our Box. :dance:

jeffsquire 09-30-2006 10:20 PM

Oh yeah

Coldest i've had top down was 55. Brrrrrrrr!!!

edevlin 10-01-2006 03:36 AM

Wish I had heated seats

I did a road trip down from New England, 700 miles with the top down, it was 41 degrees most of the way, man I wish I had heated seats.....

Ed

2000 Boxster, 50K
Arctic Silver/Black, 17" wheels

Added New:
Tires, Windshield
O2 and MAF sensors, shift cable
TTP intake, exhaust and chip,
Stereo Upgrade

sooner 10-01-2006 03:20 PM

In Oklahoma with a lot of sunny days, if its sunny and 30's I'm weariing a wool English driving cap with heated seats, and loving it. Since I bought the Boxster last January, I've noticed most softtops are up even when it is 80 degrees. If you want heat get a more rigid hardtop for less $.

blackkatt 10-02-2006 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooner
I've noticed most softtops are up even when it is 80 degrees. If you want heat get a more rigid hardtop for less $.

I have noticed that also. I don't know why someone would buy a convertible and not put the top down in the middle of summer. As far as the temp. I have been known to only drop it when its above 50.

Perfectlap 10-02-2006 06:52 AM

Plastic rear window and female passengers require the 60 degree rule:
if the temp is above 60 top is down.

Some high maintenance dollybirds require a 70 degree rule.
I think its a good idea to allow the inside temp to come down to room temp before lowering the top. Probably better to stretch warmed up canvas vs. cold canvas.

NickCats 10-02-2006 06:54 AM

I am so used to freezing my a$$ off on the motorcycle, that by having a windshield and a heater I have yet to find a day cold enough to put the top up...

Funny story, my fiancé and I were heading downtown to a going away party, and we go to get in the car and she says "Honey, can you put the top up, I don't want to mess up my hair". It's sunny and 75 degrees out, and yes, I became one of "those guys" with the top up and AC on going down to the city. But you know what they say, "If mama's not happy, ain't nobody happy" ;)

Nick

Sammy 10-02-2006 08:09 AM

50 degrees

My top down point is 50 degrees F. I have driven in 90+ degrees with the top up simply because my arms were turning bright red from sunburn and I needed a spatula to pry the boys off the leather (sorry if this reference offends anyone)... ;)

BTW - There is nothing more awesome than driving top down on the interstate on a clear night into Chicago with a hot chick in the passenger seat! :D

jeffsquire 10-02-2006 11:13 AM

OK, yesterday temp. was 49. top down, heater on 72. It was great.

I kinda digg the idea of sub 40s with top down. I do ride a bike almost all year round. Hmmmmm

mackgoo 10-02-2006 12:09 PM

I never put the top up. Here in SoCal it may hit the mid 40's at night. I have a couple of blankets in the trunke for the wife.

Adam 10-03-2006 09:44 PM

I've driven it well into the 40's but after the first snow fall it goes into hibernation...usually around mid november.

porscheracer 10-04-2006 11:35 AM

bros,
I had my top down in the middle of winter to go up to Hunter mtn for snowboarding session. I don't have a roof transport so put my snowboard on my passenger seat.

1) ski cap
2) ski jacket
3) oakley sunglasses
4) nice pair of leather driving gloves
5) full tank of 93 octane
6) techno music

stay cool,
:dance:

CJ_Boxster 10-04-2006 03:55 PM

Today during my lunch break i picked up my gf to get some lunch and when i picked her up, She imediatly proceded to remove the Red Clip from the windsheild and raise the top....Needless to say I said "Is Wayne Bradey gonna have to slap a ********************?"...Also needless to say, the top went up after saying that.

jeffsquire 10-05-2006 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Today during my lunch break i picked up my gf to get some lunch and when i picked her up, She imediatly proceded to remove the Red Clip from the windsheild and raise the top....Needless to say I said "Is Wayne Bradey gonna have to slap a ********************?"...Also needless to say, the top went up after saying that.

God how I miss Dave Chapelle. I've been laughing for a while now after reading this post.

z12358 10-05-2006 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porscheracer
bros,
I had my top down in the middle of winter to go up to Hunter mtn for snowboarding session. I don't have a roof transport so put my snowboard on my passenger seat.

1) ski cap
2) ski jacket
3) oakley sunglasses
4) nice pair of leather driving gloves
5) full tank of 93 octane
6) techno music

stay cool,

We may have a winner! :)
Z.