Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #1

re-gluing dash leather?

Hello,

This winter, I am working through the interior issues with my 2001 Boxster S. My next task is to address my dash issue. The leather has pulled away from the dash against the front window. It does not pull all the way back, just a couple of inches, but it now has wrinkles in it and it is unsightly.

I can post a picture if that would be helpful.

I have no idea how to address this and cannot find anything using the search function.

Any ideas on if this can be repaired?

Thanks, John

jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #2

John, the best thing to do is remove the dash board and carefully use 3M spray-on adhesive on both sides of the peeling leather and the dashboard itself, let it sit a bit to create a tack for good adhesion, then smooth it out from the dash side to the outside and curl the leather around.

I was very jealous of other boxster owners with leather dashboards in their cars until I figured out that all the 986's do this if the owner uses the defroster. The hot moist air does a number on that thin leather and it ripples up and peels away from the dashboard.

The dealers just replaced the dashboard under warranty when it happened. The 3M adhesive is what I used when I glue leather down to various pieces on my interior to upgrade them.

[To anyone else with a leather dash on their 986, be sure to keep a towel in the car and wipe down the leather dash at the front where it meets the window if you see moisture accumulating there or if you use your defroster on a cold morning or rainy day to clear the windshield.]

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-20-2015 at 08:24 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
Thanks for the tip! the leather in my 996 dash is beginning to do this. I thought it was sun/heat/shrinkage related. I do not want to pull the dash out of this car!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
John, the best thing to do is remove the dash board and carefully use 3M spray-on adhesive on both sides of the peeling leather and the dashboard itself, let it sit a bit to create a tack for good adhesion, then smooth it out from the dash side to the outside and curl the leather around.

I was very jealous of other boxster owners with leather dashboards in their cars until I figured out that all the 986's do this if the owner uses the defroster. The hot moist air does a number on that thin leather and it ripples up and peels away from the dashboard.

The dealers just replaced the dashboard under warranty when it happened. The 3M adhesive is what I used when I glue leather down to various pieces on my interior to upgrade them.

[To anyone else with a leather dash on their 986, be sure to keep a towel in the car and wipe down the leather dash at the front where it meets the window if you see moisture accumulating there or if you use your defroster on a cold morning or rainy day to clear the windshield.]
Thank you for your reply. Is there any way to do this without removing the dash?
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:01 AM   #5

Sure! Remove the windshield.

Dash removal is looking better now, huh.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #6

How can I pick out the best product from those listed on this site? https://11must.com/best-glue-for-leather/

rikflaxman is offline   Reply With Quote