Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Ex Esso kid

Ordering 2.5 tomorrow

I found a 2.5 with a new ims and internally checked and rebuilt where needed, cost is 3K plus my engine. Do any of you guys think it's worth it to try to sell the damaged 2.5 for more than 500 on the bay? My mechanic is going to put it on a lift, do all the heavy stuff and let me work and participate at his business as I am able then give me a final cost for the job. For me that's like a dream come true, lastly, need tips on making device to hold engine in place of Porsche special tool, thanks to all that tried to help, my car has a broken left bank tensioner for sure.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Hope the engine is coming from someone who knows how to do a tear down and rebuild. At lot of scammers out there. Good luck.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I found a 2.5 with a new ims and internally checked and rebuilt where needed, cost is 3K plus my engine. Do any of you guys think it's worth it to try to sell the damaged 2.5 for more than 500 on the bay? My mechanic is going to put it on a lift, do all the heavy stuff and let me work and participate at his business as I am able then give me a final cost for the job. For me that's like a dream come true, lastly, need tips on making device to hold engine in place of Porsche special tool, thanks to all that tried to help, my car has a broken left bank tensioner for sure.
What is the source for this engine? the IMSB ? The metal loop by the throttle body can support that end of the engine as long as the front engine mount is supporting the front. when the engine is loose & ready to be lowered & removed the weight of the engine can be supported at the oilpan with some cushion to prevent damaging oil sump plate.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Before I order the engine, I'm going to talk to Pelican about the tensioner upgrade job. It looks pretty tough in the photo guide but if I'm throwing out the engine and it's a core only, it makes taking a shot at it more attractive. I don't know any indy mechanics in my area that can handle a job like this. The other motor looks good, plus the guy noted the IMS was non L&N, seems he's up on his M96.

here's the unit I'm looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-99-Porsche-Boxster-986-Engine-Motor-2-5L-RECONDITIONED-/400244638027?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d3070814b#ht_2440wt_905

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-03-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #5

Good luck Ghostrider. Keep us posted.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Will do thanks for all the support from the forum, here's what I'm trying to save

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee32/firesphotons2/momo013-1.jpg
Old 11-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Ex Esso kid

here's what it looked like before I removed the grills I made by hand and before the spoiler lip

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee32/firesphotons2/skanny003.jpg
Old 11-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

The replacement engine looks pretty good at that price. Good luck and I hope that you get the car back on the road soon!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Will a 2.7 run off a 2.5 harness and brain box? Whats the deal with motor meister? They make it sound like they do good work but I read a horror story in here once, anybody have any luck with them?

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-03-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #10

I don't know.... I'm a newbie with these water cooled engines, but the orange silicone would scare me. The amount on the outside is usually what ends up on the inside of the case. If he had to split the case for a new IMS shaft,( maybe he just meant IMS bearing in the discription) there would be more new seals than just the head gaskets, IMO. To me it just looks like he took the covers off and looked inside, then siliconed the old gaskets (could be new) back in place.
Like I said, "Just an opinion of a newbie"
Tim
feelyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Ex Esso kid

Your opinion counts, this is all new for me too and 3K is a lot of cheese, I'm going to take it slow and read all the comments.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
In case you missed it in thejack's thread where I replied to you, Ghostrider, I'd recommend you get in touch with Jake Raby at Flat6Innovations and have a conversation with him. If you're going to drop money on an engine, I'd say be willing to drop a little more on something that you know was done right versus trying to bargain hunt and get less than you pay for. People can type whatever they want about what they've done to an engine. If you weren't a fly on the wall or standing there hovering over them the whole time they did it, you can't believe a word of it unless they're a company with a reputation that involves satisfied customers that they didn't BS...at least in the latter case there's likely to be a legit warranty/guarantee involved.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
Ex Esso kid

Thanks OD, I'm investigating having my own engine repaired locally. I have a capable wrench looking at the pelican thread on tensioners, hopefully I can keep the motor in it assuming the internals are good and that he is up to the task, otherwise I'll keep shopping.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #14

Just would like to express a personal opinion about that, accordind to what has already been said by overdrive.

Maybe you need to have a conversation with Jake Raby, he can tell you what would be the risk in swapping your engine with a unit where some other unknown hands have worked on. That engine doesn't get me convinced... You know... usage of orange sealing paste on the heads instead of original gaskets tells me something (negative) about the mechanic's skills and quality of job. Furthermore, a refurbished engine should have something more replaced than a IMS shaft (what about bearing?) and some other gaskets here and there...

Starting from the picture you have posted in my thread, that leakage could be addressed to a bad valve cover gasket and does not mean you have to face something expensive as an engine swapping. And honestly I can't believe that issue is coming from chain tensioner.

You have a number of checks to investigate your engine conditions, starting from a timing deviation check, oil debris check and some other simply checks that lead you to the best decision and action plan to save you car in the best and cheaper way.

Obviously, online diagnosis based upon a picture is always the best way to be trick...

Check your oil filter for brown plastic (tensioner) or shiny metal debris (IMSB), this will give you a clue on how the internal parts of your engine are on their way to go... and starting from this you can take your final decision about the action you have to take.

Let us know.
thejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Straight up, it's 100% the tensioner, Wayne's website (a treasure trove of perfectly executed repair tips, thanks!) mentions that some cars have had this fail. I heard it for the last two years at start up, chain against ___ slide grind, then smooth as silk. What I couldn't understand is how that would make the cam gasket fail but oil leaked from somewhere. My engine is coming out, I will try to follow up with guys like Jake but honestly, I don't have the coin to put ten or twelve in it. The mechanic I have now graduated from a good place, has mad Subie experience and I truly believe is up to the task. I changed my oil at 1/2 intervals, I'd like to keep my own engine and agree totally with you guys on the red sealant used on the 2.5 engine.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-04-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #16

Ghost,

Explain the sound you heard a little more if you would. Most Boxsters do make an unusual sound upon startup and we dont want everybody to think that what happened to you is happening to them.

Glad you can make it work and I will follow your post and wish you all the luck.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #17

Uhm, not that I'm questioning your mechanic's knowledge but I wonder how he can state it's the tensioner to blame without any visual inspection. Starting from the left bank leakage, assuming it has been caused by the tensioner fault is pure speculation. Maybe your engine suffered a bad cam cover gasket as a stand alone issue with no correlation with the tensioner issue.

The M96.20 (and others) uses tensioner composed by metal polymer structure. In case of fail of the sliding surface you could suffer a lot of secondary effects as oil pump failure, oil pressure drop or lack of lubrication in a specific area of the engine aside from a huge variation in the timing of the bank if the tensioner cannot correct the loosen chain with its own spring effect. Don't forget that this will put a lot of plastic debris in your oil circuit that you should see in the filter cartridge.

My boxster sounds to be very noising at start up until the oil reaches its correct pressure and flow inside the engine (oil grade to be adjusted, now I'm using 0-50W). And that noise is coming from chain tensioner which operates without oil for the very first revolutions. Then you ear the engine running smooth and silky. In case of a bad tensioner, a noise would be audible also during normal operation.

Don't know... I am convinced that an engine should be swapped only if there's not any other chance. Oviously, imho. Let us know

Last edited by thejack; 11-04-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #18
Ex Esso kid

97, The sound was like a loose chain against gear or play in the system going out of the system at start up, wayne mentions the hydraulics in the tensioner sometimes going bad. More important is his mention of Porsche updating the tensioners. You think Porsche would have the bugs out of their tensioners by now, this isn't the first occurance of problems. As for Jack, my mechanic didn't say it was anything, I'm telling you I believe with my thirty years around cars (25 at a dealership) that it's the tensioner. The issue is only on the left bank. Also, the car will still start and run in timing, another huge clue. Whatever surprise lies within the "cracker-jack" I'll post pics of for all of your wintertime enjoyment..thanks to all

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-04-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #19

Whats the deal with motor meister?

You want to read some horror stories about Motor Shiester? Drop in on the 911 board and type in the name...it will be enough to get you running the other direction.

Looks like a real hack worked on the 2.5 and didn't even bother to update with the LN bearing...it will only cost you more $ in the long run trying to do it cheap.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
97, The sound was like a loose chain against gear or play in the system going out of the system at start up, wayne mentions the hydraulics in the tensioner sometimes going bad. More important is his mention of Porsche updating the tensioners. You think Porsche would have the bugs out of their tensioners by now, this isn't the first occurance of problems. As for Jack, my mechanic didn't say it was anything, I'm telling you I believe with my thirty years around cars (25 at a dealership) that it's the tensioner. The issue is only on the left bank. Whatever surprise lies within the "cracker-jack" I'll post pics of for all of your wintertime enjoyment..thanks to all
Well ghostrider, this is something I'm interested into as it happens to my boxster too at each start up if I left the car unused for an hour. Good luck.