986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need advice...getting my first Porsche... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7529)

Spy4cia 09-23-2006 10:04 PM

Need advice...getting my first Porsche...

Will be placing an order for a 2007 Boxter S next week.

Below are the options I want, but I'd love feedback on what you think I should drop and/or add, with reasons WHY you think I should add or drop an option. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

19" turbe wheels
Bi-xenon headlight package
Hard top
Porsche windstop (deflector)
BOSE surround sound system
Porsche Communications Mgmt (PCM) 2.1
Adaptive sports seats
Sports steering wheel
Carbon package
Sport Chrono Package Plus

bmussatti 09-24-2006 05:36 AM

Sounds very nice. It does not sound like you have any budget issues! :) Congrats.

What are your color combo's? Exterior, leather and top?

I would recommend:

1) Leather Door Finishers- code XTV ($360)- looks very nice on the doors when the Full Leather packaged is also selected. Door finisher in carbon, to match your theme, would be $2,150 (code XTL). Leather is a much better deal, and really finishes off the door nicely.

2) Fuse Box Cover Leather code CUJ ($140)- For any color of leather, other than black, this looks very nice! The fuse box cover is black, so, on a car like mine with Sand Beige leather, the black cover sticks out like a sore thumb. I have been waiting now 6 months for the one I have ordered from Sun Coast Porsche. Get it when you order the car, not after.

3) What about Sport Exhaust, code XLF ($2,100)? You would be the only guy with it!! I would trade this option for the Adaptive Sport Seats IMHO.

4) Painted Roll Bars- code XMK ($535) It looks awesome! Especially in certain exterior colors.

5) Wheel Cap w/colored Crests- code 445 ($185) Dresses-up the wheels. The Porsche crest is very recognizable.

6) Chrome Exhaust Tip, code XLA ($340) Looks nice and clean. The standard tip is dull and looks dirty, even when clean.

7) Do you really need a Hard Top in California?

8) You have just about every major option except PASM. Maybe you want this too??

Let us know your color choices. Have fun. Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on your new car.

SD987 09-24-2006 08:17 AM

Wheels are a matter of taste, my only thought on your Turbos is that I could see these possibly delaying your order down the line due to lack of 'availability'. Bmuss, I don't think you can order the turbo wheels with colored caps.

I've lived in NorCal and can see why you might want a hard-top. But for the same reason, I'd think you'd also want heated seats.

As long as you're not ordering a car in a shade of grey/silver, I'd agree with Bmuss that the painted roll-bars add a lot for relatively little money and also with his chrome exhaust recommendation for the same reason. Appearance-wise, I'd actually say the chrome exhaust is the best bang for the buck on the whole options sheet.

I'd agree that if you're going to order Sports Chrono, you should order PASM, as optimally, there is integration between the two.

But I'm not sure what Bmuss was smoking when he recommended the leather fuse box cover (which only sticks out if your interior is sand beige) and door finishers. Whatever it was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't legal.

bmussatti 09-24-2006 08:43 AM

The Turbo Wheels, code 404 do not conflict with color wheel crest, code 445. The turbo wheels only conflicts with codes; 397, 398, 401, 403, 405, 407, XD9 and XRR.

SD987, the Leather Door Finishers look great. I have them, and they really finish the all leather package very nicely. The stitching is done very well. I have received several positive comments at PCA Concours Events.

I don't like seeing the black fuse box cover. Everything else is color coded to the leather, and it really sticks out. I guess I like things more mono-chromatic.

SD987, good catch on the Heated Seats, I missed that one for Spy4cia.

bmussatti 09-24-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
But I'm not sure what Bmuss was smoking when he recommended the leather fuse box cover (which only sticks out if your interior is sand beige) and door finishers. Whatever it was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't legal.

I only tried it. And did not inhale! :)

Spy4cia 09-24-2006 10:45 AM

To answer bmussatti questions...

Meteor gray will probably be the exterior color, with the green leather interior. The top I was going to do in black? Or is there a better option?

I'll definitely add the leather door finishers, thanks! Since the interior is going to be the dark green, should I not worry about the black fuse box?

I'm getting the adaptive seats because the regular one's are not very comfortable for me. I lift weights, so I have wide lats, and have also had 13 back surgeries. So the adaptive seats (and their adjustable lateral edges) are imperative.

The sport exhaust seemed a waste of money, and no performance improvement.

Can't have wheel caps on the chrome mags I'm getting.

Sounds like I'm going to HAVE to get the chrome exhaust tip now!

I live in Monterey, where I can only realistically use the top down for about 4 months of the year. The remainder of the time, I'll have the hardtop on.

I was told the PASM lowered the car to a point where I will hit the bottom of the front of the vehicle in driveways, etc.

Thanks very, very much for your input!

Spy4cia 09-24-2006 10:49 AM

To answer the next two posts!

Wow...great news...sales rep told me that the wheels (404) could NOT have the painted Porsche Crests. I will add that for sure now...

Heated seats I'm not too concerned about. I'm always warm, even in Monterey weather where it is usually 65 degrees...

bmussatti 09-24-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy4cia
Meteor gray will probably be the exterior color, with the green leather interior. The top I was going to do in black? Or is there a better option?

I'll definitely add the leather door finishers, thanks! Since the interior is going to be the dark green, should I not worry about the black fuse box?

I'm getting the adaptive seats because the regular one's are not very comfortable for me. I lift weights, so I have wide lats, and have also had 13 back surgeries. So the adaptive seats (and their adjustable lateral edges) are imperative.

The sport exhaust seemed a waste of money, and no performance improvement.

Can't have wheel caps on the chrome mags I'm getting.

Sounds like I'm going to HAVE to get the chrome exhaust tip now!

I live in Monterey, where I can only realistically use the top down for about 4 months of the year. The remainder of the time, I'll have the hardtop on.

I was told the PASM lowered the car to a point where I will hit the bottom of the front of the vehicle in driveways, etc.

Thanks very, very much for your input!

I think the Cocoa top looks good with your color (similar to Seal Grey...right?). Also the Stone Grey top looks very good with your color. A more monochromatic look.

I have never seen the green leather.

I still like the leather fuse box cover for all colors except black. For $140 you can't go wrong.

PASM only lowers the car 10mm (about 1/4 inch). Several guys on the forum swear by PASM.

I now understand your seating choice. Take care of your back...ya gotta be comfortable!

bmussatti 09-24-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy4cia
Wow...great news...sales rep told me that the wheels (404) could NOT have the painted Porsche Crests. I will add that for sure now...

Heated seats I'm not too concerned about. I'm always warm, even in Monterey weather where it is usually 65 degrees...

Spy4cia, I think you have a typo in your first sentence. Please check. I am confused.

I think you should reconsider heated seats. They are helpful for re-sale too. I have driven with top down in 45 degree weather with the heater on and the heated seats turned on, and was very comfortable. Do forget passanger comfort too! You might be warm, but they want a little extra warmth, and the heated seats are great for that comfort level. My wife and kids always want the heated seats on during early morning drives or after sunset. The heated seats have 2 setting...low and higher.

mikefocke 09-24-2006 11:35 AM

Te green interior will significantly impact resale negatively.

Just as green exterior is the one color cited in studies that reduces the sale price of a used Porsche vehicle by 20%.

Spy4cia 09-24-2006 11:48 AM

Clarification on two points...

I see, the heated seats allow you to comfortably drive in even cold weather. In this case, I will get them for sure.

On the wheels, the sales rep explained that the painted Porsche crest on the wheels, were NOT available on the specific wheel I wanted --- 19" Turbo Wheel (404). From reading your post, I CAN INDEED get the crests on the 19" Turbe Wheels i've selected.

Does that make it a little clearer? Sorry for the confusion...

bmussatti 09-24-2006 11:57 AM

OK, this is now more clear. I am going by the order guide, on page 11. The order guides have been wrong in the past, so maybe the salesperson knows more than the order guide.

The heated seats may also be therapeutic for your back too. Hey, maybe you can claim your whole Boxster purchase as a medical expense!!

binaryc 09-24-2006 12:44 PM

I would strongly suggest not getting the green leather interior. Even if you think it looks great, you will have a very hard time selling it or even trading it in later.

Here are some photos of the green leather:
Car 1
Car 2
Car 3
Car 3.1
Car 3.2
Car 3.3
Car 3.4

That last car is almost exactly like the one you describe... silver exterior, black top, green interior, carbon package....

PASM is apparently the best thing since sliced bread. I've never driven with it, but the reviews have been most excellent, especially when combined with PSM and the sport package.

Spy4cia 09-24-2006 12:46 PM

You know, you might be onto something...

I wrote off my spa/hot tub for medical purposes. As the Porsche is the least expensive vehicle with seats I can comfortably sit in, AND have heat applied to my back, I th ink I will check with my accountant to see if we can write the whole car off. Now the trick is to have my Primary Care Physician write an RX for the Boxster like he did for the hot tub!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great idea...........

Spy4cia 09-24-2006 12:52 PM

Yes, the green IS a bit much...

...Looks like I should go with gray or black interior...

Thanks VERY MUCH for the pics and the input...I may have made a mistake otherwise...

Michael

Spy4cia 09-24-2006 04:14 PM

I was assuming, sounds incorrectly, that you have to have 65+ degree weather to have the top down. With the heated seats, it seems like you can go topless all year. Shall I NOT get the hard top???

I found the regular sports seat too narrow. The sales guy told me the adaptive sports seat have an adjustment to widen it along the "back" and "seat" portion of the seat. I should probably try and find an Adaptive Sports Seat in stock and sit in it before I order one.

WHY on earth would you have a smoother ride on 18 vs 19" wheels????????

The Sport Chrono Package Plus includes: "analog and digital chronometer, sport button in the center console and display in the PCM, also adds ability to adjust lighting wipers, AC and door locksing to suit personal perference." I was told this option allowed you to "turn on" a sport option to stiffen the car up, etc. when you want to track the car or "go faster" on curves, etc. Am I wrong???

z12358 09-24-2006 04:39 PM

Spy4cia, congrats on the predicament!

Few thoughts...

Don't get the GREEN interior. In addition, convertibles with THREE very different colors for body, top, and interior don't look good, IMHO. Combined with the RED on the calipers, there's just too many colors. There is no "theme" there. But I may be an extremist in the "mono-chromatic" camp (triple black). If you're going to spring for a custom leather and you're dead set on the body color, at least try to match the interior to one of the available top colors. Brown, perhaps?

Forget the HARD TOP. Do you ever see snow where you live (CA)? Does water ever freeze there? For rain, you have the soft top, right?. And it's very well insulated so you won't freeze, believe me.

Now, it's so bad there for a hard-top but not bad enough for HEATED SEATS? Get the heated seats. Early morning, evening, or night drives can all use them. My fiance allows me to get the top down at night ONLY becuse there's a heated seat for her to turn on.

If you plan to take the car on the track once in a while (2-3 DE events a year) get the PASM. I don't have it and haven't tested it but I wish I had it after my first DE event a week ago. Forget the salesman's talk about it being to low. It's only 10mm lower while people here have lowered their cars an inch (25.4mm) and I don't read much complaints.

I wouldn't get the 19" WHEELS. Actually, I think I calculated that the 18" wheel + tire has a slightly larger total diameter than the 19". With the PASM nicely lowering the car, the look will be very cool but not overdoing it. People have reported that 18" actually perform better, and tires are much cheaper for them.

I personally wouldn't get the XENONS. The 987 halogens are almost as good as many have reported here.

The PCM I would only get if you plan to play MP3 files on a cd. I don't have it and I don't miss it. Honestly, I rarely want to listen to ANY music while driving this car with the top down. The engine sound is all the fix I need, and I don't want to spoil it.

Get the windstop. It helps.

Carbon package? Personally, no.

I don't lift weights but I do have wide shoulders and lats. The standard seats are some of the most comfortable and supportive seats I've ever sat in.

13 back surgeries and still lifting weights? More power to you.

Z.

z12358 09-24-2006 04:55 PM

I was assuming, sounds incorrectly, that you have to have 65+ degree weather to have the top down. With the heated seats, it seems like you can go topless all year. Shall I NOT get the hard top???

Forget the hard top in CA. Period. You should be able to go topless all year there. And when you can't, that's what the soft top is for. The hard top is for people in Montana, Nebraska, Canada, etc.

I found the regular sports seat too narrow. The sales guy told me the adaptive sports seat have an adjustment to widen it along the "back" and "seat" portion of the seat. I should probably try and find an Adaptive Sports Seat in stock and sit in it before I order one.

Can't help you with this one. But if you're having problems with the standard ones DEFINITELY try the adaptive ones before ordering to make sure you're OK with them.

WHY on earth would you have a smoother ride on 18 vs 19" wheels????????

18s have less metal and more rubber then the 19s. Rubber is smoother than metal. The diameter of the whole 18" wheel + tire is actually larger than the diameter of the 19" wheel + tire.

The Sport Chrono Package Plus includes: "analog and digital chronometer, sport button in the center console and display in the PCM, also adds ability to adjust lighting wipers, AC and door locksing to suit personal perference." I was told this option allowed you to "turn on" a sport option to stiffen the car up, etc. when you want to track the car or "go faster" on curves, etc. Am I wrong???

The option that stiffens the suspension is the PASM. It does that when you turn its "sport" mode.

Z.

Spy4cia 09-24-2006 05:29 PM

Thanks, one and all, for the great advice.

I'm sure glad I posted here before placing my final order.

Looks like I've got a number of things to add, and a few to drop off.

What kills me is the 19" wheels...I love the way the 19" mags look, but performance should ALWAYS (almost always) take precedence over looks...

bmussatti 09-24-2006 05:47 PM

If you like the look of the 19's you should get them . I have the 19" Carrera Classics and love 'em. Ride is great. Who cares about extra costs at tire replacement time...all Porsche tires cost a lot!