Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
MarkT

Garage
Too much oil or not?

Ok I will admit I am a very newbie!
I changed the oil/filter in my 05 Boxster S following the capacity levels in the manual.
It says 2.05 Gal or 7.75 Liters.
I put in 2 gal and my dash meter is showing completely full.
Do I need to try to drain some out or am I ok?

Thanks
:confused

Markt213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #2

I think the accepted oil level is one bar below full feeling that a full fill may overwhelm the air oil separator. However, I've been running at completely full for some time with no issue.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #3

KN is correct, 1 bar below the top mark is the correct measurement. The reason you don't want to go to the top bar is the inaccuracy of the bar graph. Below 50% of a bar will show as the lower bar and 50%+ will round up to the next bar. So if your graph shows at the top bar, you may be up to 49% of a bar overfilled and the graph will say just full.

An easy way to drop the level is to remove the oil filter canister and dump the oil from it. That should drop you a bar on the graph.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
MarkT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
KN is correct, 1 bar below the top mark is the correct measurement. The reason you don't want to go to the top bar is the inaccuracy of the bar graph. Below 50% of a bar will show as the lower bar and 50%+ will round up to the next bar. So if your graph shows at the top bar, you may be up to 49% of a bar overfilled and the graph will say just full.

An easy way to drop the level is to remove the oil filter canister and dump the oil from it. That should drop you a bar on the graph.

Mine is right at the top bar (where the arrow points) but not over. Do you think I should dump some? If I loosen the canister will it come rushing out.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
MarkT

Garage
How much oil per bar?
Dang I wish I just had a dip stick on this thing...
Also is the manual wrong or does all the oil not drain?
Old 03-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markt213 View Post
Ok I will admit I am a very newbie!
I changed the oil/filter in my 05 Boxster S following the capacity levels in the manual.
It says 2.05 Gal or 7.75 Liters.
I put in 2 gal and my dash meter is showing completely full.
Do I need to try to drain some out or am I ok?

Thanks
:confused
How long did you allow the oil to drain? was the P car level when the oil was drained?
Some let the oil drain overnite; others let it take an hour or so for a complete drain.
It is possible not all the oil drained, but if it did and you put in .05 less than the prescribed manual states you should be fine.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #7

Dont forget to read the level at least 10 -15 minutes after you turn off the engine. Before that the oil is not fully returned to the bottom of the engine (pan).

Just sayin !

Last edited by pomerlo; 03-30-2019 at 07:37 PM.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:14 AM   #8

05 Boxsters don't have dipsticks?
I had no idea. Seems like a bad idea..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Mine is right at the top bar (where the arrow points) but not over. Do you think I should dump some? If I loosen the canister will it come rushing out.
Thanks
Depends how lucky you feel. At that top bar, you could be at an over-fill situation. No way to know for sure. Your engine will try to push any extra oil out the combustion chamber and exhaust. Not a good way to lower the level.

The only oil that will come out when you remove the filter canister is the oil that's in the canister. That's the genius of this procedure for lowering the amt of oil - you only remove a small amt. Pulling the drain plug is inaccurate and messy (reminds me of the joke about the trained monkey putting the cork back in a cow).
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
MarkT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Depends how lucky you feel. At that top bar, you could be at an over-fill situation. No way to know for sure. Your engine will try to push any extra oil out the combustion chamber and exhaust. Not a good way to lower the level.

The only oil that will come out when you remove the filter canister is the oil that's in the canister. That's the genius of this procedure for lowering the amt of oil - you only remove a small amt. Pulling the drain plug is inaccurate and messy (reminds me of the joke about the trained monkey putting the cork back in a cow).
Awesome thank you all for the info I will pull the filter tomorrow and dump some oil.
Question: Is it possible to use a top side oil remover to suck some oil out through the oil fill port like I do with a boat?
Thanks again!
Old 03-31-2019, 03:31 PM   #11
MarkT

Garage
Quote:
Awesome thank you all for the info I will pull the filter tomorrow and dump some oil.
Question: Is it possible to use a top side oil remover to suck some oil out through the oil fill port like I do with a boat?
Thanks again!
e
So I just found out that you can’t use a topside boat oil remover as there is an obstruction about 8 inches down.

Now on to plan B pulling off the oil filter cover... when I changed the filter I filled the cover 1/2 way then screwed it on. If I dump this oil then put it back on empty will it refill on it’s own as this will put a big air bubble in the system.
Just wondering...probably a stupid question but better safe...
Thanks
Old 03-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
MarkT

Garage
Worked Perfectly!
When I unscrewed the filter housing approximately 1/2 a quart of oil came out and after I took it for a spin around the block and waited 30 min for it to settle my meter read one bar below full!

Thank you for all the great help!