986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   timing chain maintainance (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74893)

tonythetiger 03-29-2019 09:58 AM

timing chain maintainance

My 2001 Boxster 986S hit 100K and the clutch shudders a little. Feels like my DMFlywheel is played and probably due a clutch. I want to take care of some other stuff too.

SO, looking around I didn't find a comprehensive list for the chain rail sliders and pads. I am getting ready to replace the clutch and flywheel and my last oil change showed brown and black plastic in the filter.

While Im in there, thought it prudent to replace the sliding chain pads and such, since I am replacing the IMS also. For the help of all, could someone review the parts list I put together for consumables and tell us all:

What am i missing?
What is unnecessary?
Other "do it while your in" there advice?

Hoping others can gain from this advice also.

2 - 996-105-253-00-M100 Timing Chain Rail Set for Solenoid Actuated Chain Adjuster
1 - 996-105-166-51-M100 Timing Chain Guide Rail - Intermediate Shaft Chain
1 - 996-105-195-00-M100 Timing Chain Rail Pad for Chain Adjuster
2 - 996-105-175-52-OEM Timing Chain Rail (Front Upper, Rear Lower)
2 - 996-105-173-53-OEM Timing Chain Rail (Front Lower, Rear Upper)

BOOTLEG 03-30-2019 06:17 AM

Great and timely question for me as well. Preparing to install my replacement EBAY engine which I did the IMS, RMS, DM Fwheel, clutch/PP, H2O pump & loTemp TSTAT. Want avoid the slippery slope of replacing things just because the engine is out of the car but still doing what should be done. Looking for thoughts on injectors, AOS coil packs etc.

Geof3 03-30-2019 08:03 AM

Personally, I think with that type of mileage, any "wear" item should be replaced if it is still the original part. Why not? Yes, it's $$$ up front, but once done, it's probably done for whatever the rest of the life of the engine is. Up front hit, for some peace of mind and much lass pain in the @ss if something goes after the engine is back in.

Engine is out anyway:

Coolant tank
AOS, possible associated lines
Maybe vario cam actuators
Tensoners, pads etc.
Lot's of other possibilities, sensors etc. but I think these are the "big" ones

Brian in Tucson 03-30-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOOTLEG (Post 592010)
Great and timely question for me as well. Preparing to install my replacement EBAY engine which I did the IMS, RMS, DM Fwheel, clutch/PP, H2O pump & loTemp TSTAT. Want avoid the slippery slope of replacing things just because the engine is out of the car but still doing what should be done. Looking for thoughts on injectors, AOS coil packs etc.

Do the AOS, it'll never be easier than it is now. When I did mine, I replaced the coils, tubes, and plugs, too. I did an underdrive pulley and a spin on oil filter adaptor, too.

Unless you know that something is worn out inside in the chain drives, I wouldn't open it up. It's a pain in the butt to get sealed back up again.