986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sanity Check (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7485)

NickCats 09-19-2006 07:27 PM

Sanity Check

I wanted to throw this out there to see if I was totally crazy or if others do the same thing ( which would make me feel much better )...

I have been a proud Boxster owner for 5 months now and I still find myself going into the garage a couple of times a night just to look at my car.

I have dreamed of owning a Porsche since as long as I can remember. Even after 5 months I still can't believe I finally own one. My fiance thinks I'm nuts but luckily she just laughs at my frequent trips to the garage. Keep in mind this is my daily driver ( at least until the snow falls ) so I pretty much drive the car every day.

Anybody else do the same, or do I need to seek professional help ? :eek:

Nick

kabel 09-19-2006 07:53 PM

Been there, done that :cool:
Now I mostly do it at the office. If I cant park where I can see it, it drives me crazy :D

ohioboxster 09-19-2006 09:07 PM

No. I get my joy out of turning wrenches on it. I dont know what the heck Im going to do now that the SC is working properly. My neighbors probably think its a pile of crap because of how much Im under it or climbing on the trunk.

aBsOlUt 09-19-2006 10:33 PM

You are completely sane! :)

I have done it many times myself, especially when I come back at night I just get out when the engine is still running and the lights are on. What an incredible view!

A lot of people cannot believe or understand how can someone be attached to pretty much a "piece of metal". I believe it has more to it, it becomes part of your personality and besides the majority has to drive a car to work or to places, why cant this car be nice and enjoyable? Obviously, we are not in the "I need a car to go from Point A to Point B" mentality are we?

FIG 09-20-2006 12:28 AM

guilty!!!! :cool:

I do exactly the same, for the same reasons!

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted a Porsche. I have one, and cant believe it!
We've all heard.... " It's only a car", what a crock! It's an appreciation of fine engineering and craftsmanship, IMO anyway.

Keep the visits up, and the looney bin is reserved for others! :D

bmussatti 09-20-2006 02:47 AM

OK. I have met Nick, his Boxster and his wonderful fiance. He's a lucky guy! I think you should keep out of the garage and focus!! :)

NickCats 09-20-2006 04:56 AM

thanks, bmussatti !

z12358 09-20-2006 05:52 AM

Nick, I would say couple of times a night may be a tad on the obsessive side. I'm with bmuss on this one: focus. :) I only see my car on weekends so it always looks like it just came out of the wrapper after a week's pause. Anticipation and delayed gratification works for me, I guess.

It's a fact that I've been devoting big chunks of my free time (including this forum) to the new black beauty in my life so I'm starting to get slight vibes of jealousy about the Box from my fiance. It can turn into an intricate triangle if you're not careful. :)

Perfectlap 09-20-2006 06:22 AM

Order snow tires if you don't have some already. I just got Pirelli Snow Sports (Porsche approved) and the guy at the tire rack says they get more expensive as the supply starts to decrease. I've been in rain that quickly turned into snow halfway into my drive.

Anyhoo that "I have my very own Porsche" never really goes away. I've known guys who have owned many Porsches over the years and they still look up to the brand and the heritage (if not the company run by greedy arrogant bastards..ahem as many say). They don't really have that feeling for other brands except for maybe Ferrari (the few who could afford to maintain such a car).

Before I had the Boxster I did allot of Autocrossing with the POrsche Club (the wine and cheese crowd as I called them back then) and I got very very used to seeing all manner of Porsches 911, 914, Boxster. It became very common place for me so when I got mine it didn't seem so "out this world dream come true" situation. But then the comments started flooding in. I would bump into someone I hadn't spoken into in years and they said "I heard you have Porsche now" :p
About a million "you have my dream car" comments and even one nice blonde girl pulled over when I was pulling out of a parking spot to tell me "I just want to say you have the sexiest car".
The funny thing is I never considered it a dream car. Just a good alternative to an S2000, MazdaSpeed Turbo Miata or Z4. Dream car for me would be a Maserati Gran Sport Coupe in pearl white or a Ferrari 360 in Yellow.

p.s.
Growing up I wanted a Black Trans Am with the stupid bird on the hood like in the movie "Smokey and The Bandit" or a silver 928 (Scarface).

NickCats 09-20-2006 07:53 AM

Ha ! I'm not the only one :

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5288

pecivil 09-20-2006 08:09 AM

damn! I'm outted

yep do the same thing and wifey thinks its crazy.....and I have had it 2 years!!, but it is my first Porsche. I too dreamed all my life about getting one. And with the engine swap happening, in the shop for the 2nd week now I am jonesing for her. I may have to drop by the shop (again) to make sure shes ok.

maybe in a couple of years I will get a 95 928 gts and scratch another longtime car "itch".

Porsche: There is no substitute!!
:cheers: :D :dance:

Ronzi 09-20-2006 08:11 AM

It wears off after a while.
Ultimately, it's just a car.

Just like there is a pecking order in the overall sports car world, there is a pecking order within the Porsche world ... and in terms of currently available models, the Boxster is at the bottom of it. So there's no reason to feel TOO impressed with yourself for owning one.

Feel better now?

Perfectlap 09-20-2006 08:22 AM

jeez...your a wet blanket. :p

I'm assuming your being facetious but I've never understood this Boxster 'entry level' Porsche talk. Its the roadster of the Porsche brand. Parts and hourly labor are just as expensive as its rear engined brother. The funny thing is that even Porsche promotes this 'entry level' nonsense with its own Factory Race Car drivers. I read an interview a few years back with Patrick Long who had just become an apprentice Factory driver and he said that that he and the other newbies got Boxsters while the full time factory drivers got 911's. He said something like "just to remind us we hadn't moved **UP** in the food chain"
My immediate response was so they promote you by giving you lesser handling sports car?? :p

At more than $50,000.00 There is nothing entry level about any car with that price tag. Even repeating that is buying into the mental brain washing Porsche wants you to believe to justify spending $80-$100K on a rear engine car simply not worth its price in terms of performance. $50K is a heck of allot of dough for a car even a sports car, a luxury indeed.

Ronzi 09-20-2006 08:31 AM

Hey, fifty years from now we may all be swaggering around congratulating ourselves for having the perspecacity for buying the successor to the Speedster.
When the top goes down, the price goes up ... but maybe not right away.

TriGem2k 09-20-2006 10:12 AM

I've owned mine now for 5 /34 years and i still do it.....Specially when shes clean :D

NickCats 09-20-2006 10:12 AM

Perfectlap,

I couldn't have said it better myself !

Before the Boxster, I had a 1987 Porsche 924S.

I great little car, just a little too old and a little too slow.

After I bought the Boxster, I thought that when I paid it off I would start looking for a 911 Carrera.

I recently drove a 1999 911 Carrera and I think I like my Boxster better.

The Boxster is plenty fast, handles like a dream, and you can't beat the drop top.

Not sure if I would give up a mid-engine convertible for a rear engine hard top.

( considering that a 911 Carrera Cabriolet runs about $37k more than a base Boxster )

With the new Boxster S coming in at 295 hp, I can't imagine when I would need the extra HP of the 911.

IMHO...

Nick

Perfectlap 09-20-2006 11:35 AM

There's no deficiency in the 911 and its one of the most visually appealing and recognizeable forms in auto world. (well no deficiency if you can deal with pendulus cornering-- I find that unerving and unacceptable) But I don't consider it a superior sports car to the Boxster. The standard Carrera has a bit more power but also weighs more and it's power is still somewhat underwhelming given its price tag. GT2/GT3/Turbo/C4S is enough extra power to make a different animal. But that's no more than common sense: you're paying a heck of allot extra for it!!
But for serious driving there's more than enough HP in both the Boxster and the standard Carrera. Take either out on the track and you'll be hard pressed to maximize the limits of either. So why do you need more if you've got enough to get you into trouble??

But Coupes are Coupes and Roadsters are Roadsters.

Two very different designs, purposes and experiences.

If I were in the market for Coupe and a Roadster I might be inclined to
make the Boxster my roadster choice and make the MZ4 Coupe my tin top.
I think the MZ4 Coupe has a much much nicer/racier interior, front end and
comes in at $25-$40K less than the rest of Porsche line up with decent power.

bnorman 09-20-2006 12:37 PM

My Boxster

I had wanted a Porsche since high school. In college I drove a 1960 VW Bug that I had tricked out with headers, oversized wheels and tires, etc. Until now it was the closest thing to a Porsche that I had ever owned. It was a lot of fun to drive, too. I long ago sold the Bug and put aside those desires for other joys and priorities.
After two marriages, raising two sets of two kids and driving family sedans for more than 30 years, I bought my first Porsche, a 2002 Boxster S, last year. It only had 6K miles, so it was practically brand new.
It has been an absolute joy to drive since the day I got it. And yes, I still go to the garage and look at it admiringly. I go to Home Depot to buy light bulbs or screws one at a time just so I can drive it. My wife had never seen me wash a car until I got my Boxster. I keep it under an all weather OEM cover in the garage. It gets washed gently every week or two and waxed at least once a month.
I am not one to have a lot of toys, but I have never received so much pleasure from anything like this.
I love my wife dearly for her support of this purchase and maybe one of these days I may even teach her how to drive it.

blinkwatt 09-20-2006 01:52 PM

Lets see,in the past year I have replaced;
~MAF

~oil seperator & "j" tube

~the intermediate shaft connected to the throttle body

~$300 flat tire

....I can still be found in my garage looking at it with the same grin on my face from when I first bought it.

Perfectlap 09-20-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorman
I had wanted a Porsche since high school. In college I drove a 1960 VW Bug that I had tricked out with headers, oversized wheels and tires, etc. Until now it was the closest thing to a Porsche that I had ever owned. It was a lot of fun to drive, too. I long ago sold the Bug and put aside those desires for other joys and priorities.
After two marriages, raising two sets of two kids and driving family sedans for more than 30 years, I bought my first Porsche, a 2002 Boxster S, last year. It only had 6K miles, so it was practically brand new.
It has been an absolute joy to drive since the day I got it. And yes, I still go to the garage and look at it admiringly. I go to Home Depot to buy light bulbs or screws one at a time just so I can drive it. My wife had never seen me wash a car until I got my Boxster. I keep it under an all weather OEM cover in the garage. It gets washed gently every week or two and waxed at least once a month.
I am not one to have a lot of toys, but I have never received so much pleasure from anything like this.
I love my wife dearly for her support of this purchase and maybe one of these days I may even teach her how to drive it.

LOL one of these days....

Cinamon Brown? please post pics I was looking at an '01 996 TT in that color for a steal last year but it got away from me :mad: (too busy posting on 986forum.com :D )