Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Audio upgrade

So car went in shop last week to get an audio upgrade. Can't wait to hear it.

2000 Porsche boxster

1. Joying Android head unit (double din) move ac controls to bottom din to make room for unit.

2. Install dash speakers. (Alpine 4in)

3. Install door speakers (focal 5.25 in) and rear speakers

4. Install 4 channel Rockford fosgate r300x4 amp

5. Install two low profile self amp subwoofers (10in) behind seats.

6. Install dash cam mirror and rest view camera.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

That is going to sound great. The 2 subs... now you've me thinking of adding another to my setup.

The headunit. How did you go about sourcing it... the brand. What other did you consider... and why didn't they make the final cut.

I'm considering a double-din... and want it to have a backup camera... GPS... BT... voice command... but in the $400-$500 range. I know there's some wild stuf out there right now.

Thank you.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #3

Has anyone done this themselves? I want to give it a shot but looking for pointers, or ideally a detailed How-To
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Has anyone done this themselves? I want to give it a shot but looking for pointers, or ideally a detailed How-To
Did you try a search of the forum?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #5

Yeah, I'm searching
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

I have close to the same system in my 02S. I have the Pioneer double din with nav, Focal dash and door, with Alpine self powered subs behind each seat. Also there is Rockford 4 way amp in the trunk.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That is going to sound great. The 2 subs... now you've me thinking of adding another to my setup.

The headunit. How did you go about sourcing it... the brand. What other did you consider... and why didn't they make the final cut.

I'm considering a double-din... and want it to have a backup camera... GPS... BT... voice command... but in the $400-$500 range. I know there's some wild stuf out there right now.

Thank you.
Well I considered buying the high end HU but this car is a weekend car so I didn't want to break the bank. I spent the money on speakers and installation instead. The joying is a good HU and has good support and been in business quite some time in china.

Another factor is the HU has digital output and DSP and most HU are over $1000 with that so I said WTH let me try it out. Check out their YouTube channel to see features etc.. one thing that people are complaining about is the microphone...I am not really buying it for daily driving and will have top down most of the time so that is not a big problem for me. I usually ignore calls when cruising lol.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFrkbO6PkJJOR7c3zWiloVA

I really want to see how these subs (Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt Slim Low Profile Active Powered Car Subwoofer Sub) are going to sound. Not going for Earth shattering bass...just want a good thump in back when the low bass kicks in. They are installing in back of seats so losing a bit of space but installer said it would be around 2 in loss which isn't bad for me. I'm 5'10" and wife is 5'8".
Old 03-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #8

I have pioneer single din supports active crossover control as they call it network mode.
Hertz 6.5 door mid woofers, 3” dash mids, 1.5” tweeters in dash. 8” pioneer sub in a modified 911 cab pasenger footwell bose box. Alpine PDX9 driving mid, subs, 3” upper mid. Tweeters powered from hu.

Pioneer deh prs 80 bluetooth, cd, usb, various, phone. Built in eq, and handles the crossover work, along with the amp crossovers.

I am too tall for sub behind the seat.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #9

Accudental double post!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #10

Here are the subs..we installed with carpet still there. I'm going to see how it feels when I pickup. Might cut the carpet to give alittle bit of more room back there. Installer said seats still recline and only gave up around 2.5 inches so should be good. Hopefully it's comfortable. Not planning on making day long trips in car lol.. but still want to enjoy!

Old 03-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post
Well I considered buying the high end HU but this car is a weekend car so I didn't want to break the bank. I spent the money on speakers and installation instead. The joying is a good HU and has good support and been in business quite some time in china.

Another factor is the HU has digital output and DSP and most HU are over $1000 with that so I said WTH let me try it out. Check out their YouTube channel to see features etc.. one thing that people are complaining about is the microphone...I am not really buying it for daily driving and will have top down most of the time so that is not a big problem for me. I usually ignore calls when cruising lol.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFrkbO6PkJJOR7c3zWiloVA

I really want to see how these subs (Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt Slim Low Profile Active Powered Car Subwoofer Sub) are going to sound. Not going for Earth shattering bass...just want a good thump in back when the low bass kicks in. They are installing in back of seats so losing a bit of space but installer said it would be around 2 in loss which isn't bad for me. I'm 5'10" and wife is 5'8".
That's certainly going to thump. I prefer to not block the front of a sub. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by Starter986; 03-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That's certainly going to thump. I prefer to not block the front of a sub. Let us know how it works out.
I can tell you with my car.... the right music gives a nice back massage
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #13

Looks nice, 2.5 inches and i couldnt steer the car. Lol cant wat to here the sound report.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #14

Put some mood lighting in also. Pics from shop...picking her up on Friday and will take some good pics and video.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #15

Couple of pics of the ambient lighting. Looks great. I can dim if needed also but wanted to show you guys the lights.

Also the Android head unit is pretty awesome. Put a new launcher on it and looks awesome.

Also the system sounds amazing. The two low profile 10in Rockville subs really sound awesome for low bass. The highs and mids sound clear. Haven't tried with top down but overall I am super pleased with upgrade.