Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #1

Audio upgrade questions

Good day everyone. Upgrading my entertainment in my 00 986. Want some help to pick out some speaker components and your opinions. So far I have bought

1. 7in joying double din screen (dual USB mount cable for carplay/Android auto)
2. Alpine SPS 410 4in coaxial speakers for dash speakers
3. Cai 4 inch mounts
4. TWO Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt Under-Seat Slim Amplified Car Subwoofer for back of seats.

What do you guys suggest for the door speakers and rear? I have read that door speakers are subwoofers and are 5.25 in. Some small subs are the Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer however I am already putting in the two Rockville subs. I want a CLEAR/CRISP system with a bit of bump. Would a better fit for doors be Focal Integration ISC 130 as they are on sale right now.

Any suggestions for rear speakers aswell? Should I go with Alpine as I have them on the dash.

Also what amp recommendations to run all this? I will have installer rewire system.

Thanks

rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #2

I used 3 way component hertz in my 00. Amp is a Alpine PDX9 I think it was. Doors are 5.25 inch 6.25 will fit with modification i bought some ebay nokia door boxes and cut them up and mounted 6.25 driver in the doors. The tangs probably not needed with the subs, focal or hertz 5.25 in door would work. The stock amp only sends sub freqs so you really need to change the amp. I am running an active system no rear soeakers and honestly dont need them.

I am running a 996 footwell subbox I moded and drive with the alpine. The alpine has 5 channels.
So my pioneer hu controls cross over duties, and powers tweeter, the dash and doors handle mids crossed using amp crossover to split high mid low mid, the channel 5 sub.

Anyway a decent 5.25 would be easier to install and work.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #3

I used Hertz for dash and door speakers.

There's quite a bit of information online (RennTech, CAI, and this site) on various solutions. As you don't have the MOST system, your installation has a few more options. IMO after replacing the head unit, the amp has to be next. There are several multi-channel amps that you can use. I used Kenwood head unit and 5 channel amp. Dash speakers are Hertz 4 in coax, Hertz woofers in the doors (5.25 in) and then had the drivers in the rear deck sub changed. I used Morel 5.25 in there and then mounted the Hertz tweeters where the Bose tweeter were. I'm very happy with the sound and installation.

I would suggest speaking with Rod at CAI. He's easy to talk to and a wealth of information.
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
I used Hertz for dash and door speakers.

There's quite a bit of information online (RennTech, CAI, and this site) on various solutions. As you don't have the MOST system, your installation has a few more options. IMO after replacing the head unit, the amp has to be next. There are several multi-channel amps that you can use. I used Kenwood head unit and 5 channel amp. Dash speakers are Hertz 4 in coax, Hertz woofers in the doors (5.25 in) and then had the drivers in the rear deck sub changed. I used Morel 5.25 in there and then mounted the Hertz tweeters where the Bose tweeter were. I'm very happy with the sound and installation.

I would suggest speaking with Rod at CAI. He's easy to talk to and a wealth of information.
+1 for CAI bit pricey but solutions work as advertised so worth it.

Are you sure those subs will fit under the seats? My problem is heighth so behind the seat impossible.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #5

If you know someone in your area with an upgraded sound system in their Boxster, you may want to take a drive with them to see which upgrades you can actually hear. The cars are fairly noisy. The rear speakers help especially with the top down, but the other sound improvements you can hear in an audio showroom or with the car turned off may be inaudible when driving.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #6

In no particular order and only my .02:
1.Titanium tweeters in the dash-to some they sound "harsh" but they cut through road noise quite well with top down
2. a powered sub box like Kicker, Alpine, etc.
3. A time delay (app, control on head unit, etc.) to increase soundstage and tune system to your tastes. Really made a difference for me-and it's a free Alpine app!
4. Amplify, amplify, amplify. Did I mention amplification?
It's amazing how good 12 volt electronics are these days and how not a lot of $$ gets a great system to where I'm not sure spending more buys more.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
..I would suggest speaking with Rod at CAI. He's easy to talk to and a wealth of information.
+1 I would take Rod's advice
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #8

Video of sound system

https://youtu.be/VlEiBpRFQc8

1. Joying Android head unit (double din 7in) SKU:JY-UO128N4
2. dash speakers. Alpine Type-S SPS-410 4" Coaxial 2-Way Car Audio Speakers
3. Install door speakers Focal Integration ISC 130
4. JL Audio XD400/4v2
5. Two Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt Under-Seat Slim Amplified Car Subwoofer
6. CHICOM V21 9.66 inch Mirror Dash Cam Touch Full Screen ; 1080P 170° Full HD Front Camera;1080P 140°Wide Angle Full HD Rear View Camera
7. Xk glow fiber optic kit

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #9

The set-up looks cool. But where did you get the windscreen?
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:14 AM   #10

Looks amazing man! I have the kicker hideaway 8' sub behind my passenger seat. However I may get another to put behind the drivers seat to give it some more thump. I love that windscreen also! Does it have a brand name on it by any chance?
MichaelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #11

The windscreen was custom made by original owner. Has LED lights on it and can change colors. very cool!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelV View Post
Looks amazing man! I have the kicker hideaway 8' sub behind my passenger seat. However I may get another to put behind the drivers seat to give it some more thump. I love that windscreen also! Does it have a brand name on it by any chance?
I found a company that makes them, https://www.windrestrictor.com/windrestrictor/windscreen-windblocker-windstop-windschott-lighted-engraved-logos.html. $300plus lighted version. They will etch whatever you want on it.