986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "OEM" upgrades to earlier 986 models? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74595)

steve42 02-19-2019 08:19 AM

"OEM" upgrades to earlier 986 models?

As stated previously, helping my dad with his newly-acquired 2001 Boxster is my first foray into Porsche restoration/modification, so I keep trying to apply my non-Porsche experiences to the endeavor with mixed results.

What I have done or helped others do in the past has often involved installing OEM parts from later model years to the older car to refresh and update the car. This includes things like putting 2002 model Infiniti G20 Sport headlamps onto a 1999 car that didn't have the option or swapping in two-tone leather seats where the earlier model didn't have that as an option.

I saw similar practices used all the time when I used to watch the BBC show "Wheeler Dealers."

So I am curious. The 986 Boxster ran from 1996 to 2004, with my dad's '01 falling squarely in the middle. Are there any factory/dealer options that would be desirable and would bolt onto one of the older cars?

Steve

Qckslvr 02-19-2019 08:52 AM

litronic headlights
heated seats
glass rear window with defrost
rear package shelf speaker kit
rear wind screen
larger brakes from the S model (if car is not an S)
there is an aftermarket button that activates the rear spoiler from the dash, and tells you when the spoiler is working automatically(it's on ebay)
Renline, FVD Brombacher, and Pelican have LOTS of aftermarket goodies for our Boxster as well.

Akjoe 02-19-2019 10:01 AM

My favorite/best value upgrade for my 986 was swapping in the factory shifter from the 987/997. Reduces throw about 10-15%. (not as much as a short shift kit, but just right in my opinion) My stock 986 item was well worn and I got lucky finding a 997 part (online auction) that had nearly no usage. It was plug-and-play. Took about an hour and vastly improved the shifter feel. Cost me about $100 all-in.

PaulE 02-19-2019 11:53 AM

There are lots of good ideas in this thread. In terms of OEM upgrades, a couple of other popular options are the ROW M030 Sport Suspension kit, and adding cruise control and/or the onboard computer, if not already there. An underdrive pulley will give you the biggest bang for your buck. I think there may be an OEM Porsche underdrive pulley but there are lots of good aftermarket choices.

steve42 02-19-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qckslvr (Post 589291)
litronic headlights

I assume when I see this that you are referring to the "simple" Litronic upgrade, omitting the auto-adjust feature?

Quote:

heated seats

We're in Alabama, so that's less of an issue. Dad's not going to drive it if it's cold.

Quote:

glass rear window with defrost

We're going to replace the top so the glass window is in the plan, but don't you have to have mirror defrost to have defrost on the window?

Quote:

rear package shelf speaker kit

I'll have to look into this. Dad's not a music guy so he'll be a hard sell.

Quote:

rear wind screen

This is one that I think he'll consider

Quote:

larger brakes from the S model (if car is not an S)

I agree. Are these the Red "Porsche" calipers?

Quote:

there is an aftermarket button that activates the rear spoiler from the dash, and tells you when the spoiler is working automatically(it's on ebay)

I'll have to look into this. I don't know how often the spoiler's going to be activated at it's stock configuration. Dad doesn't drive that fast! :)

KevinH1990 02-19-2019 06:45 PM

I added quite a few OEM upgrades to my car over the years. You can read about it here: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55759-de-changed-some-interior-items.html
Some parts like the seats and the 5-gauge cluster were “donated” by 996’s.

I have a 997 shifter sitting in my garage waiting for me to find time to install it. When I do the car will be 986/996/997 hybrid.

I also have a few aftermarket parts including the head unit, rear speakers and back up camera.

Geof3 02-19-2019 10:14 PM

How much do you want to spend? Ha, that really is the question. Gt3 seats, alcantera goodies, shifter knobs, steering wheels, other bits. The 997 GT shifter console is prob one of the best. Also, look into the various upgrade/revisions for engine parts etc. The motor mount and oil pump upgrades are easy and well worth it. So many things to have fun with.

steve42 02-20-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 589335)
How much do you want to spend? Ha, that really is the question.

The car is my dad's new hobby. He's a frugal man who talked about buying something to tinker with for years and at 82, he decided to buy the Boxster. He's not going to do any performance modifications, but he appears to be open to appearance, safety and comfort modifications that look like they could have been stock.

I'm working on getting him to replace the stock stereo and cup holders with a Double DIN head unit. The fact that the splash screens can be customized to display a Porsche logo may inspire him. The stereo is not functioning right now and as long as I select something that has a real volume knob, I think he'll be good with it. I really want it so he can have a backup camera.

Steve

Jgkram 02-20-2019 06:38 AM

I think it is great that you have an 82 year old father that is "young" enough to want to tackle a project like this. And, that he has a son willing to help and support like you are doing. Makes me remember how much I wish my dad was still around...Keep it up.

mikefocke 02-20-2019 12:52 PM

Third radiator and bumper cover if not an S.

Later headlights (non-yellow corners)

Later tail lights

Clear parking sidelights.

updated GPS nav bluetooth radio replacing two of the four slots in the console

glass window top (best -03-04 with frame from wreck)

Bumperettes painted to match body (see Eric of Bumperplugs)

Wheels of your choice

I could go on and on. It is fun to spend someone else's money.