Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Solenoid for Variable Cam Adjuster Questions

So trying to deal with a p1341 and p1325 codes after my engine install. Never have gotten a CEL. But durametric shows p1341 and p1325.

Durametric readings for 'Actual Cam Angles for bank 1 & 2' are within 1* of each other. However, 'Spec. Cam Angle' for bank 1 shows the deviation within 1* of each other, but as soon as load/throttle is applied, bank 1 swings 20-30* out and then settles back into the good range.

I am fortunate in that my car is an 03 S and the solenoids are accessible w/out having to pull the cam covers. So, today I pulled the solenoids to bench test them.
Never having worked with these before, I am not sure what I should be looking for. They cost @ $200 ea. new so I dont want to just go throwing $$ at parts.

I hooked up a couple of alligator clips and applied 12v. I was pretty underwhelmed by what I saw and heard. I did the bank 1 side first and got a very quiet clicking. The 'plunger' inside the solenoid moves maybe 2mm total travel. Not so fast that I couldn't see it move.
Not sure if that was normal, so I pulled bank 2 and got the same result.

For video reference, this gentlemen in Japan(?) pulls some out of a 996. My solenoids sound like the one at 7:47 and *I think* they are supposed to sound more like the one at 8:10 since he spends a good part of the video trying to clean out and get the one at 7:47 sounding and acting like the one at 8:10.

Video: https://youtu.be/wb8S9ng0vdY

I wouldn't think both of mine would be bad, but this video seems to suggest otherwise.

My bank 1 solenoid hole openings dont seem to be aligned like bank 2. Would that matter? Bank 1 solenoid is first pic and bank 2 is second.

These are both taken in the fully open position. As you can see, the opening in the first is much smaller than the second and not quite in line with the hole. . Should they be opening more?

Finally, what is the proper orientation for the holes and does that matter? up or down? (edit: Oops...just noticed the notch...probably will determine orientation on reinstall)

Hopefully a tech can chime in or someone with a spare and ability to bench test.

Thank for any insight.

2003 Boxster S
1939 Ford DeLuxe Coupe w/392 Hemi
1984 Suby Vanagon Westfalia

Last edited by Ottomotion; 02-19-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Ottomotion is offline   Reply With Quote