Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #1

987 Newbie Questions

Just bought a nice secondhand 2005 Boxster S. It's my second Boxster, but my first 987, and it's just different enough that I'm scratching my head over a few things.

1. What's the black box inside the front trunk upper compartment where the CD changer and/or navigation system would go if I had them?

2. The center air intake in the front bumper isn't actually an air intake. It's closed. Also, mine's loose and wiggles. Is there a clever way to snap or screw it into place?

3. The car came with a loose piece of black plastic, part # 987.561.446.00. PelicanParts stocks them but doesn't describe what it is if you don't already know. Where does this thing go?

4. The soft top appears to be in great shape, but it doesn't seal properly when it's closed and I get a lot of wind noise (but no water leaks) at highway speed. It looks to me like the edge of the fabric top isn't sliding into the plastic guides (where the B pillar would be on a hardtop). Is there a way to adjust and/or train the top to go into these grooves?

5. Programming the HomeLink buttons is a constant source of irritation for everyone, but a bit of searching suggests that my 2005 car won't ever talk to my 2014-era garage door opener unless I get a "HomeLink repeater/bridge" gadget. Does that sound about right?

6. Confirm, please, that I can disconnect the battery temporarily without borking the radio and needing a code to re-enable it?

7. I've been reading horror stories about using the wrong coolant. I've got a bottle of Peak European Vehicle Pink coolant that says that it's good for 1996-2009 Porsches. Surely that's okay for the occasional top-up?

Thanks, all!

Last edited by RoadHazard; 01-08-2021 at 10:44 AM.
RoadHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #2

Regarding #3, parts catalog shows it to be part of the convertible top. The only name it has for the part is "cover", so like the Pelican catalog, pretty undescriptive. #34 in this image:

BTW, you can get the part catalog here. Scroll down a bit and choose your model and year. Can be pretty helpful: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuineparts/originalpartscatalogue/

Congrats on the new ride. I just bought an 06 myself, so trying to learn more about the 987 as well.
donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #3

Update: the problem with the convertible top not seating properly is apparently a well-known bug. I followed the instructions found elsewhere and fixed it with elastic. The process is awkward, but it works. So that's one down!
RoadHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I've been using the European formula (includes Benz and Porsche etc, listed on the label) for years. Buy it at Canadian Tire here in Canada. They colour it pink so we feel better!:dance:

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote