986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   GT3 Bumper question. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7450)

docdyh 09-17-2006 04:21 PM

GT3 Bumper question.

Can someone tell me if the GT3 front bumper was an option for the boxster ? It apparently fits several models. Saw one listed for boxster as factory original part and am interested. Is $900 a fair price new? Thanks.

docdyh 09-17-2006 04:33 PM

after further research, i guess was originally for 911..but sold as part of aerokit 2 for boxster..sound right?

Perfectlap 09-17-2006 07:04 PM

$900 is about right for a Factory GT3 bumper. From the windshield forward the 911 form 1999-2001 uses the same body panels and headlights as the 1997-2004 Boxsters.

docdyh 09-18-2006 05:01 AM

thanks perfectlap

Yeehaw 10-04-2006 02:03 PM

therefore does the 997 & 997 GT3 share body panels from the window forward with the 2005+ boxster/cayman?

thanks!

Perfectlap 10-04-2006 02:42 PM

no I don't think so but the 997 Turbo and 987 have nearly identical interiors!
Some have been griping in auto magazines about this.

pecivil 10-04-2006 07:19 PM

dont do it

Hey the guy who is selling them on ebay for $900 using "buy it now" is ALSO selling them via bidding starting at $100. Two days ago I got one for $511. It is shipping to me as we speak.

I watched another auction a week ago and it went for $652 IIRC.

Wait for him to put one up via bidding, and you almost for SURE won't pay $900.

and YES you owe me!! :cheers:

Boxtaboy 10-05-2006 03:35 AM

Please let us know when it arrives if it is an OEM polyurethane GT-3 bumper, or if it is made of fiberglass. A lot of these folks on fleabay sell the cheap fiberglass replica versions that will not give upon minor impacts.

KronixSpeed 10-05-2006 06:35 AM

I also put in a bid for the gt-3 bumper last week. I was under the impression that he closed the bidding because he did not get a fair bid. Then i took a look at his other products for sale and saw that he was looking for atleast $900. $500 is a steal of a deal........

I have read some post here, where people have been saying something about cheap fiberglass products.....is it that bad? I have no idea about what is good material and what isn't. Will the paint/shine still appear on the fiberglass bumpers in time....or is it just easy to crack.....

so is $900 a decent average price for a fiberglass bumper........

Perfectlap 10-05-2006 07:57 AM

$900 is horribly overpriced for an inexpensive material like Fiberglass.

I bought a first rate Miata aero kit from Racingbeat.com (RX7 and Miata tuners) and I don't think anyone section was more than $400. And that's from a company with very high quality control standards. Their Fiberglass unlike 99% of that available in aftermarket world usually requires little if any shaping/sanding.
No matter if its from Racingbeat or another quality maker, fiberglass will NEVER fit as well as OEM parts. Polyurethane is made from a mold and probably lazer cut for a fit that rarely deviates more than -1mm. The aftermarket fiberglass really depends on the guy making the piece on that particular day. So its much more time intensive and has the big drawback of being very easy to crack with as little as a -5mph impact. The bodyshop will also charge you their usual steep fees to prep fiberglass so it will nullify any savings vs going with factory parts.

The guy selling the GT3 factory bumper is probably the same guy I got mine from (Dayton @ DPS Motorsports). Anything below $900 is a good price but I doubt he'll be selling many at $500 again, probably a good way to draw attention to his auctions through forums like this one.

here's a great example of fibgerglass with a terrible fit.
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/71/fe/c5_12.JPG

Marc Gelefsky 10-05-2006 08:08 AM

If I bought a real GT3 bumper, is it just a matter of paint and replace? No other parts or changes?

pecivil 10-05-2006 08:10 AM

the place I bought mine from is "German oem parts". It is represented as "New Original Porsche OEM " with the provided Porsche part number. I would not have bought anything else, for the above mentioned reasons. He seems to be selling a few of them, as I watched one auction go to to $652, and he had several on ebay for $900 with buy it now or best offer. I tried a best offer of $500 to see how low he would go, and he came back with $750. I didn't bite, and sure enough, he started another auction starting at $100. That is the one I got for $511. It BETTER be OEM polyurathane, or it goes straight back for a full refund. It hasen't arrived yet, so we will see.

Interestingly enough, I just looked on ebay and he does not have any current auctions/buy it nows listed. I wonder if he sold all the ones he has.

Perfectlap 10-05-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
If I bought a real GT3 bumper, is it just a matter of paint and replace? No other parts or changes?

Basically, follow the link in the cleaning out the radiators thread and you'll be able to mount it yourself if you have a lift or jackstands. TriGem2K did this and reported no problems AFAIR. I thought it would be very difficult looking at the instructions its not hard at all just takes some time to pry out the fasteners from the wheel wells. I looked at the Porsche Electronic Catalogue print out and there were a few retaining strips (in case of impact) that were unique to the 911 but not a concern unless you plan on playing bumper cars.

I'm not sure how a GT3 front bumper would look like without skirting since its bigger (wider and longer) than the stock Boxster front end.

KronixSpeed 10-05-2006 11:15 AM

Thanks, this helps alot. I do trust Dayton at DPS, and would most likely buy my gt3 bumper from him. They have very good pricing. I bought my side skirts from DPS at a fair price. He even sent me the wrong skirts and was happy to exchange them for the right ones at his cost.

Pecivil make sure to post back when you get the bumper.....i'm really excited for you...lol....everytime i look at my car, it seems to be missing something......GT-3 front bumper.....dam! i'm going to have to wait until the summer, unless i win an auction that gets me that bumper for $500....

TriGem2k 10-05-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky

I did mine in my garage with just the jack that is inside the spare tire. Total install took 1hour. It actually took 20mins to put it on and the other 40 just in adjustments. You can actually raise and lower the bumper any way u want with the bracket and screws behind the bumper. I was anal and had to have a "perfect" fit.

Perfectlap 10-05-2006 02:27 PM

good work^ The bodyshop I stoped by wanted around $200 to remove the old and install the new. What a mistake that would have been..

TriGem2k 10-05-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
good work^ The bodyshop I stoped by wanted around $200 to remove the old and install the new. What a mistake that would have been..

No way, I wouldn't pay more than $50-$75 to have it installed by a "professional".

Pay me $200 for my airfare and ill install it for free!

:cheers:

porsche986 10-06-2006 05:24 AM

i bought a boxster 996 turbo look bumper from essential styling and what a load of ****************e!

I paid £700.00 and had it for 4 days and it was ****************e, he wouldnt have it back so I sold it on ebay for £200 and got bad feedback, stay clear from that place!

docdyh 10-08-2006 05:05 AM

hey pencivil

how did the GT3 bumper from the ebay seller work out? was it factory and did you install yourself?

pecivil 10-08-2006 05:57 PM

still waiting for it to arrive. It is shipping from Virginia and I am in California, so it will take a awhile. I will post when it arrives.