986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pinning gears on IMS? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74496)

Homeoboxter 01-31-2019 10:21 PM

Pinning gears on IMS?

Hi All,

I will soon get to start reassembling the engine and it is still a bit unclear for me why the valves were touching the pistons. This makes me wonder if my IMS gears are still aligned and not rotated with respect to the shaft. How can I test this? Also, since the IMS is out now, would it make sense to pin the gears?

Thanks for any input.

JFP in PA 02-01-2019 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeoboxter (Post 588345)
Hi All,

I will soon get to start reassembling the engine and it is still a bit unclear for me why the valves were touching the pistons. This makes me wonder if my IMS gears are still aligned and not rotated with respect to the shaft. How can I test this? Also, since the IMS is out now, would it make sense to pin the gears?

Thanks for any input.

Yes...……….

Homeoboxter 02-01-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 588357)
Yes...……….

All right, I`ll pin it then. Any idea about how to check the gear alignment? Also, there`s a punch mark on the external side of the largest gear, looks like a timing mark, any idea what that is referring to?

Thanks!

JFP in PA 02-01-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeoboxter (Post 588383)
All right, I`ll pin it then. Any idea about how to check the gear alignment? Also, there`s a punch mark on the external side of the largest gear, looks like a timing mark, any idea what that is referring to?

Thanks!

No. We send our out to a shop that checks the gear indexing before pinning them. Never had a problem when they were done.

BYprodriver 02-01-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Hi All,

Thanks for any input.

Send it to LN Engineering

lowpue 02-01-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Hi All,

Thanks for any input.

I had a new(rebuilt) engine put in my boxster. Gear slipped and we thought the chain skipped a tooth so the timing was fixed. Then it did it again so the shop took a closer look and the IMS gear was slipping. It was sent back to the builder who pinned it. If yours is slipping you need to fix the timing and then pin.

Homeoboxter 02-01-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowpue (Post 588396)
I had a new(rebuilt) engine put in my boxster. Gear slipped and we thought the chain skipped a tooth so the timing was fixed. Then it did it again so the shop took a closer look and the IMS gear was slipping. It was sent back to the builder who pinned it. If yours is slipping you need to fix the timing and then pin.

Amazing.. I can`t turn the gears on the shaft by hand, but there has to be a reason why the timing was off. Thanks for the info.

Homeoboxter 02-02-2019 08:37 AM

Useful video on checking alignment and pinning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP6GwqLvD7Q