986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   986 with CDR-210 - CD changer sound in RH only (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74457)

Zzorro 01-27-2019 09:52 AM

986 with CDR-210 - CD changer sound in RH only

I'm bringing a '98 986 back to life after a few hard years. It's been lots of fun so far.

One minor issue you all might have some insight into: I have the CDR-210 head unit c/w amp and 6 disc CD changer in the frunk. The sound from the In-dash radio and CD player work great. When I switch to the CD changer I only receive sound from the RH speakers (single channel).

In an attempt to fix the issue I have taken apart ALL connections and cleaned them with electronics cleaner and made sure they are all decent. This includes the back of the head unit, the back of the Amp in the frunk and the connections to the CD changer as well. I have played around with the balance setting and can confirm that I get no sound from the LH channel from the CD Changer.

Before I go looking for a cut wire behind the dash I figured I would ask if anyone experienced this issue or have any insight into what else I can look for let me know.

Thanks in advance for your input.

rexcramer 01-27-2019 10:28 AM

Here is a maybe. Check the connector between the A pillar and the door. The seal can sometime let water in and cause corrosion. I was having lock issues on the drivers side and that was the cause. I was surprised at the number of wires in that plug and how wet it was.

Cunningr 01-27-2019 08:20 PM

You might just try simply swapping the right and left rca out connectors on the cdr unit its self that will isolate it to wiring from unit or the unit its self.

Zzorro 01-28-2019 07:08 AM

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. I'll try them out and report back.

dav9515 01-28-2019 08:36 AM

I am having a similar issue when listening to anything (Radio, CD) on my 210, only plays on one side. I just assumed the speakers were blown on one side of the car but hadn't had a chance to diagnose yet. Maybe there is more, i will stay tuned to see what you discover!

Zzorro 02-26-2019 09:26 AM

Sorry for the delay folks.

So I swapped the LH and RH channels on the back of the CD changer. Turns out that the changer is not broadcasting on the LH channel. So looks like I need to look closer at the changer itself.

Thanks for the tip!

Cunningr 02-26-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zzorro (Post 589784)
Sorry for the delay folks.

So I swapped the LH and RH channels on the back of the CD changer. Turns out that the changer is not broadcasting on the LH channel. So looks like I need to look closer at the changer itself.

Thanks for the tip!

At least that is easy to get to, glad you narrowed it down!

dghii 02-26-2019 04:39 PM

The changers are not expensive at all used. Maybe even find one for free. Good luck!

dghii 02-26-2019 04:43 PM

I take that back...
Changers CDC-04 for 03-04 Boxsters are cheap.....one on ebay right now for $34 'Buy it now".

Cheapest that will fit a '98 Box is $110.

Zzorro 02-27-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 589805)
I take that back...
Changers CDC-04 for 03-04 Boxsters are cheap.....one on ebay right now for $34 'Buy it now".

Cheapest that will fit a '98 Box is $110.

Interesting. I'll have a look. I want to get Bluetooth. I may look into the continental head unit instead. Not high on the priority list though. Engine mount and suspension 1st!

Thanks all for your input.

dghii 02-28-2019 10:24 AM

If you want to keep your radio but want BT, look at the iSimple Transit Blu. It's about $75 online. It is easy to hook up...you add it inline with your antenna. It comes with a control button and a mic. Wiring is easy and the performance and connectivity is quite good. I used one for the lasts couple of years in an older 4Runner.