986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Caliper Rebuild - 3 pistons stuck (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74435)

speedyspaghetti 01-22-2019 10:45 PM

Caliper Rebuild - 3 pistons stuck

Hey everyone,

I'm in in the process of doing a caliper rebuild, but I'm having a hard time with 3 of the brake pistons. I took out the dust boots, and then used the compressed air / wood method. One of the pistons shot right out, 1 budged a bit, an the other 2 did not move at all. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or do I have frozen pistons? I'm blowing the air through the hole where the caliper would connect to the brake line - is this correct? Or should I be blowing through the bleeder nipple? Any other suggestions? I have tried prying / pulling on them since I do not want to damage them.

Thanks!

TrumpyAl 01-22-2019 10:47 PM

"shot right out"

Does that mean that one of the pistons is all the way out and now you can't pressurise the space behind the others?

Quadcammer 01-23-2019 05:08 AM

just use 2 screwdrivers to pry them out. should be a non issue

speedyspaghetti 01-23-2019 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpyAl (Post 587878)
"shot right out"

Does that mean that one of the pistons is all the way out and now you can't pressurise the space behind the others?

It pushed most of the way out and then I pulled it out by hand - should I have kept it in so that I can get full pressure on the others?

TrumpyAl 01-23-2019 06:31 AM

Yeah, pop it back in and use the block of wood to keep it from being pushed out again.

Try to use air pressure to move all of them partially out, and then lever them with screwdrivers to get them the rest of the way out.

speedyspaghetti 01-23-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 587892)
just use 2 screwdrivers to pry them out. should be a non issue

Marring that recessed ring, while I'll try to avoid it, won't damage the function, correct?

speedyspaghetti 01-23-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpyAl (Post 587902)
Yeah, pop it back in and use the block of wood to keep it from being pushed out again.

Try to use air pressure to move all of them partially out, and then lever them with screwdrivers to get them the rest of the way out.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense... I feel stupid now. Oh well. Thanks!

Quadcammer 01-23-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti (Post 587903)
Marring that recessed ring, while I'll try to avoid it, won't damage the function, correct?

they are actually tougher than you might think, but nah, a few scratches there won't affect anything as its just the dust boot retainer.

You can wrap the screwdriver with a paper towel if you're worried

speedyspaghetti 01-23-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 587905)
they are actually tougher than you might think, but nah, a few scratches there won't affect anything as its just the dust boot retainer.

You can wrap the screwdriver with a paper towel if you're worried

Gotcha - thanks! Hopefully this rebuild and new rotors / pads will solve my vibration once and for all.

TrumpyAl 01-26-2019 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti (Post 587913)
Gotcha - thanks! Hopefully this rebuild and new rotors / pads will solve my vibration once and for all.

Do pay attention to the bed-in procedure.

And next time around, don't switch pad compounds without also replacing (or machining) the rotors.