Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #1

Meyle Control Arms?

02 Base. Daily Driver. 160K. Front lower ball joints are shot. After reading a few threads on here, I have a few questions regarding Meyle Front Lower Control Arms:
1. In one thread people mentioned that The Meyle Arms were 6mm shorter than The Porsche ones. Is this really the case? If so, how can they possibly fit?
2. How well do these arms hold up? What sort of experiences have guys who have installed these encountered?
3. Is it really a get-what-you-pay-for situation with $100.00 Meyle Arms vs. $400.00 Porsche ones?
4. Does swapping the stock arms for Meyles affect the alignment? Will I need to realign the car after swapping out the arms for the non-clunking variety?
5. Can worn drop links add to the clunking? They are shot as well and I am looking at The TRW ones for replacements.
6. Should I do the inner & outer tie rods "while I am in there?" If so, then I definitely need an alignment, correct?
The clunking has got to go!
Thanks in advance for your help!

robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
02 Base. Daily Driver. 160K. Front lower ball joints are shot. After reading a few threads on here, I have a few questions regarding Meyle Front Lower Control Arms:
1. In one thread people mentioned that The Meyle Arms were 6mm shorter than The Porsche ones. Is this really the case? If so, how can they possibly fit?
I've never seen that, is there a link? I am running these arms in the back and have had no problems with them, and they are the same length as the OEM Porsche LCA. The inner rubber bushing is about 1mm bigger in diameter and so you can't retrofit it with monoball cartridges, but the overall dimensions of the arms seem to be the same. I have one extra at home and can take some pictures next to an OEM porsche arm.

Quote:
2. How well do these arms hold up? What sort of experiences have guys who have installed these encountered?
I like them, no trouble so far.

Quote:
3. Is it really a get-what-you-pay-for situation with $100.00 Meyle Arms vs. $400.00 Porsche ones?
I don't think so, in my opinion Meyle makes good stuff, I would not hesitate to use any of their stuff.

Quote:
4. Does swapping the stock arms for Meyles affect the alignment? Will I need to realign the car after swapping out the arms for the non-clunking variety?
In the back yes because the inner end that connects to the chassis is done using an eccentric bolt that sets the camber.

In the front, the ends of the arm are fixed and theoretically shouldn't affect the alignment, but if the old arm is worn and things are moving around, the new stiffer arm may change the camber slightly which would then change the toe.

Quote:
5. Can worn drop links add to the clunking? They are shot as well and I am looking at The TRW ones for replacements.
I have heard yes although I personally haven't had that experience.

Quote:
6. Should I do the inner & outer tie rods "while I am in there?" If so, then I definitely need an alignment, correct?
Thanks in advance for your help!
The tie rods aren't connected to the LCA (unlike for example the front "tuning fork" caster arm, so other than lifting the car and removing the wheels, there isn't much labor overlap. And yes a front alignment after replacing the tie rods.

Quote:
Front clunking? I would suspect the tuning fork arm, in the back that one is notorious for clunking so maybe in the front too? If you are replacing the front LCA I would replace that arm too, Meyle makes that one too, Porsche cross reference 997 331 043 01, that is the rear tuning fork arm for 997, but also fits 996 all 4 corners and 986 Boxster front. That is one that is a good candidate to do while you are in there.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #3

Thank you steved0x.
This is what makes this place an invaluable resource!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

And Steve, in particular, is a very generous fellow!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
And Steve, in particular, is a very generous fellow!
You guys... I'm blushing I'm just paying it forward, I have soaked up so much knowledge from on here in the past so I'm sending it back!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
Artist, 986S tinkerer

BTW Steve, your point-by article is getting a lot of traction here in my local Rennsport Facebook page! Thanks from all of us!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
I have used a bunch of Meyle parts including rotors and master cylinder and they are high quality parts.

I would not hesitate to use them for any replacement parts
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #8

Clunking infront suspension

if you noticed the drop links has a tear on the ruber cover, you can replace them for less then hour on both sides and not that expensive. I’m sure it will lessen clunking sound or maybe no more clunking. I did that the 1st month a got my 99 boxster 103k mileage with newly installed LN IMS. Clunking went away after replacing my front drop links.
ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #9

You guys are awesome. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #10

Garage
Just this summer I did tuning forks (track arms), outer tie rods, drop links (all four) and new front struts. You need an alignment for sure if you are doing the lower control arms. You also may as well do your drop links and tie rods. Better than paying for another alignment later.

I did front struts because I had heard the strut mounts can make noise. It ended up being cheaper to buy low mileage take offs than to buy parts and replace the mounts and dust boots. Not sure what all your noises are, but you may consider struts too. Another item that will require an alignment.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote