986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   the dreaded RMS problem (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7437)

St. Louis Boxster 09-16-2006 07:52 PM

the dreaded RMS problem
 
A year ago I had a leak in the Rear Main Seal repaired at the dealer. This AM I notice new oil sppots again on my garage floor in the same area. Plus as a bonus the Air Bag light came on. I've got on 04 with 12,000 miles so it's warranty work right now.

My question is.. since this has happened twice in a year, should I consider looking at a trade before the warranty runs out? I've been told that once RMS problems start in this repeated fashion they tend to not go away.

I love my Box but will quickly fall out of love of this becomes a way of life in Porscheland.

Any ideas?

red_wagen 09-16-2006 08:02 PM

Damn, sorry to hear. I'm on the fence right now and am checking out an 04S with 12000 miles :eek:

mookarma 09-16-2006 09:04 PM

Getting off subject slightly, but what exactly is the problem with an RMS leak other than the spots on the garage floor?

MNBoxster 09-16-2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Louis Boxster
A year ago I had a leak in the Rear Main Seal repaired at the dealer. This AM I notice new oil sppots again on my garage floor in the same area. Plus as a bonus the Air Bag light came on. I've got on 04 with 12,000 miles so it's warranty work right now.

My question is.. since this has happened twice in a year, should I consider looking at a trade before the warranty runs out? I've been told that once RMS problems start in this repeated fashion they tend to not go away.

I love my Box but will quickly fall out of love of this becomes a way of life in Porscheland.

Any ideas?


Hi,

2nd leak in a year? I'd be pressing Porsche for engine replacement before the warranty runs out.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

crzn427 09-16-2006 10:03 PM

We had our RMS replaced about a year ago as well ('04 Boxster) during the first service at 15k.

We had the second service (at 26k) done before we went on vacation (3400 miles), After we got home, I noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor.

I never detected any low oil reading on the dip stick.

I called the dealer and set up an appointment for the replacement. The Service Consultant told me that there was a recent re-design in the RMS and our first repacement was of the old design.

I got the car in and they did the replacement again. We have had a couple 600 mile trips since and, so far, no oil on the floor.

MNBoxster 09-16-2006 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crzn427
We had our RMS replaced about a year ago as well ('04 Boxster) during the first service at 15k.

We had the second service (at 26k) done before we went on vacation (3400 miles), After we got home, I noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor.

I never detected any low oil reading on the dip stick.

I called the dealer and set up an appointment for the replacement. The Service Consultant told me that there was a recent re-design in the RMS and our first repacement was of the old design.

I got the car in and they did the replacement again. We have had a couple 600 mile trips since and, so far, no oil on the floor.


Hi,

I'm glad everything seems to be working out OK for you. But, be aware that the new seal hasn't fixed the issue entirely either. Have they measured the block? There is a procedure to measure the block to insure that it's within a certain tolerance. If so, the seal is replaced, if not, the engine is replaced.

Since the lister is under warranty, I'd be more inclined to argue for a replacement because a replaced seal could possiblty fail and no longer be covered by a warranty...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Brucelee 09-17-2006 05:21 AM

"2nd leak in a year? I'd be pressing Porsche for engine replacement before the warranty runs out."

I am with Jim on this. However, I wonder if Porsche has actually ever done this for a customer?

BTW-I had a 911 that had gone through 2 RMS in its history. No note of a new engine on that one.

Hmmmm!

bmussatti 09-17-2006 08:19 AM

St. Louis Boxster, I think there are 2 dealers in St. Louis...Plaza Motors and Parktown. Which one did the first RMS? Matbe you should try a different dealership too?

Press to meet with the Porsche Service Zone Manager too, if you don't get the cooperation (engine replacement) from the dealership that you deserve.

St. Louis Boxster 09-17-2006 10:11 AM

All of sudden I don't feel like I am alone in this fiasco.. Thanks for all your input. I thought about the new engine angle, I think I'll pursue that a little harder since this is the 2nd RMS repair in one year.

Bmussatti I took it, bought it from Plaza. Good idea about Parktown.

ohioboxster 09-17-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Louis Boxster
All of sudden I don't feel like I am alone in this fiasco.. Thanks for all your input. I thought about the new engine angle, I think I'll pursue that a little harder since this is the 2nd RMS repair in one year.

Bmussatti I took it, bought it from Plaza. Good idea about Parktown.

No, I think you may be alone. I've never heard of rms, Jk.

vouvoune 09-17-2006 05:06 PM

I am in STL too, one advice would be to go to Reid Vann and speak with JOhn. Reid Vann (if you are not familiar with it) is a small shop across from Parktown, much more friendly than Plaza or Parktown (where I don't like to go as it is way too big and you feel like an number)

John is very honest, patient and experienced and would be able to give you good advice as he knows Porsches very well.

Good luck!

http://reidvann.com/

St. Louis Boxster 09-17-2006 05:54 PM

Vanessa:

I've heard nothing but good news about Reid Vann, but, since I'm still under warranty, I'm probably stuck with Plaza or Parktown.

Look forward to seeing you around town !!

EB847 09-18-2006 10:50 AM

Which model years had this problem?

bmussatti 09-18-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EB847
Which model years had this problem?

I think all of them! Unfortunately.

We have not heard about this with the 987. Hopefully not ever. But it will probably plague us too.

Tips have less occurrence that the manual tranny. And certain years have a higher occurrence than others.

There is lot of info on the Forum about the RMS. And there are a few dedicated threads complete with a survey.

Brucelee 09-18-2006 11:57 AM

There were a few RMS reports from the 987. I don't think we are out of the woods yet.

bmussatti 09-18-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
There were a few RMS reports from the 987. I don't think we are out of the woods yet.

Richard, from Forum members here? I forget if "we" had any here.

Brucelee 09-18-2006 02:16 PM

We do have 987 members who hang here. I can't be sure that they have reported in with RMS. My service advisor told me the RMS is not resolved but a bit better due to the larger seal being used.

For what it is worth.

St. Louis Boxster 09-18-2006 06:12 PM

Just a brief follow up..

I spoke with the service manager and inquired about an engine replacement since the problem has occurred twice in a year. He said they would do some kind of calibration check and if's an out of tolerance issue, the engine would be replaced. It goes in Monday, I'll keep you all posted.

MNBoxster 09-18-2006 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Louis Boxster
Just a brief follow up..

I spoke with the service manager and inquired about an engine replacement since the problem has occurred twice in a year. He said they would do some kind of calibration check and if's an out of tolerance issue, the engine would be replaced. It goes in Monday, I'll keep you all posted.


Hi,

FYI, almost all of the RMS issues spring from the center bore being out-of-tolerance. But, Porsche will only replace engines if a certain out-of-tolerance measurement is realized. Kind of saying "We know your car is f*cked-up, but if it's not f*cked-up enough, we won't replace the engine, you'll just have to perennially budget a grand or so for when it goes out the next time". Wonderful after-sale support! Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

vouvoune 09-20-2006 06:51 PM

lucky it is happening under warranty...

so yes, see you around STL..I'm pretty easy to spot since -so far- i seem to be the only chick in town in a boxster..Its such a feminie car, I don't get why that is!!!

It feels like we don;t have many "top down" days left...tomorrow sounds like one, so enjoy!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website