986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A smelly question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74356)

Tailwind 01-11-2019 10:37 AM

A smelly question

After working on the engine earlier this week and getting under the car to drop one of the panels to find the socket I dropped in the engine compartment, I believe I don't have any leaks. That said, can y'all chime in on what might be the source of a smell I can detect when I get out of the car after being driven fully warmed up. My buddy noticed it too. It's not quite the 'oil on the manifold' kind of smell, and I'm thinking maybe the PS overflow. Any comments on what's common?

tia

The Radium King 01-11-2019 11:04 AM

man, i can't believe this isn't in an faq somewhere; every new owner asks this question, and the forum is replete w answers to it.

exhaust is close to the road and close to the rear wheels; a good drive will get rubber and road debris onto the exhaust and make a mild burning smell. consider it evidence that you are driving the car appropriately.

JayG 01-11-2019 01:17 PM

Eau de Porsche

Porsche perfume

Tailwind 01-11-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 587226)
man, i can't believe this isn't in an faq somewhere; every new owner asks this question, and the forum is replete w answers to it.

exhaust is close to the road and close to the rear wheels; a good drive will get rubber and road debris onto the exhaust and make a mild burning smell. consider it evidence that you are driving the car appropriately.

You are right. The forum is full of members asking about various smells.
Thanks.

maytag 01-11-2019 02:13 PM

Well after having the intake manifold off of my motor for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I was shocked, and somewhat dismayed, that in Porsches Infinite Wisdom they decided to put the power steering overflow "Reservoir" (and I use that term loosely,) in the top of the motor. (It's really just the casting cavities on the top of the block that fill with power steering fluid.)

So, some previous owner, somewhere along the way, stuffed a paper towel in there to soak all that up, I presume. And they left it there.
Now, I've had plenty of power steering overflow experiences myself at the racetrack, so I'm not blaming the previous owner. What I'm saying is, it could easily be burning power steering fluid that you're smelling.

Or any other of a host of things that drip, weep, seep, drain, Etc, on a 15 - 20 year old car.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

dghii 01-11-2019 07:22 PM

For the OP,
Beyond the possibilities listed above, consider spark plug O-rings leaking or CV boots slinging grease.
Not trying to spook you, both are easy to remedy and both make smells!

Geof3 01-11-2019 10:43 PM

Or, if your coolant tank is leaking, or has a bit of overflow for some reason, could be coolant.

Flavor 987S 01-12-2019 02:25 AM

Check your motor mounts. They contain a very stinky fluid.

Tailwind 01-12-2019 04:27 AM

The mounts are new, the CV that drives the wheels (I don't know what side, the shop did not detail) was replaced, and the bolts on all the CV joints are clean, so I assume they checked the torque on all of them, the shop replaced the plugs and did one tube; prev owner had replaced all tubes, No coolant leak as far as I know. The smell is reminiscent of spilling oil on the engine. You wanna talk about a smell, my Golf TDI stank like a strong rubber smell after a DPF regen, buy they told you about that.
So it's not uncommon for the Boxster to emit odors?

Thanks to all.

Starter986 01-12-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 587260)
Check your motor mounts. They contain a very stinky fluid.

Please, tell me about this fluid. I just replaced the front motor mount on my 98 and, um, no fluid. Are you referring to the transmission mounts (2). You're telling me they contain fluid? Please, tell me about this fluid.

Thank you.

dghii 01-12-2019 08:09 AM

I'd still bet spark plug tube, O-rings. I did mine twice during the 10 years of ownership. First was preventative, doing O-rings and tubes during a spark plug change. Second time was due to a 'smell'. There was no visible leak but a bit of oil was weeping out and dripping on exhaust manifold. No smoke or anything. You might want to take another look and not dismiss just because it had been done at one time.

thstone 01-12-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 587269)
Are you referring to the transmission mounts (2). You're telling me they contain fluid? Please, tell me about this fluid.

Yes, the transmission mounts contain a highly viscous fluid that dampens drivetrain vibrations. One of my trans mounts started to leak and there were drips of fluid on the ground.

Paul 01-12-2019 09:29 AM

Yes they leak and its orange.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...931461/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...931461/enhance

Paul 01-12-2019 09:36 AM

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...931464/enhance

Starter986 01-12-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 587274)
Yes, the transmission mounts contain a highly viscous fluid that dampens drivetrain vibrations. One of my trans mounts started to leak and there were drips of fluid on the ground.

Thank you, guys.

That explains why they're so darn expensive.

Anyone know...

1. Why they contain fluid in the first place?, and...

2. Is there a non-fluid alternative?

Every day I learn something new from this forum.

Thanks!

Stroked & Blown 01-12-2019 11:52 AM

Have you checked your blinker fluid?

BYprodriver 01-12-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 587279)
Thank you, guys.

That explains why they're so darn expensive.

Anyone know...

1. Why they contain fluid in the first place?, and...

[B]2. Is there a non-fluid alternative?

[/B]Every day I learn something new from this forum.

Thanks!

There are solid mounts available, do a search to see pro's & con's. For a street car I believe new oem mounts are best.

Tailwind 01-12-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown (Post 587286)
Have you checked your blinker fluid?

I almost bought a 128i

Tailwind 01-12-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 587270)
I'd still bet spark plug tube, O-rings. I did mine twice during the 10 years of ownership. First was preventative, doing O-rings and tubes during a spark plug change. Second time was due to a 'smell'. There was no visible leak but a bit of oil was weeping out and dripping on exhaust manifold. No smoke or anything. You might want to take another look and not dismiss just because it had been done at one time.

The plugs were done only 2 months ago, but I'll do that.

thstone 01-12-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

1. Why they contain fluid in the first place?

I don't know know for sure, but these mounts were used on the 993 (as engine mounts since the engine is in the back of a 911 rather than the transmission) so its something that they had available and already in production.

Quote:

2. Is there a non-fluid alternative?

Yes, there are full rubber mounts and some semi-solid mounts. Both will increase vibration quite a bit. I have the semi-solid mounts on my Boxster but its a race car so NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) isn't a concern.

Do a search and you can find several posts discussing the merits of other mounts and other owners experiences.