Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Softop button has no effect

Hello all,

More electrical issues, after I thought I had everything solved....

I most recently used the soft top around 2 months ago when I had to open the engine compartment for the mechanic to smog the car. I haven't touched it since.

Today I wanted to put the top down and nothing happened. Here are the symptoms and possibly some elimination of possible issues (I searched heavily before posting this).

-Car is a 1999 with the triangle marked relay
-To be perfectly clear, the car was running and the parking brake was applied
-The parking light in the instrument cluster was illuminated
-When I unlock the top at the windshield header, the windows roll down a few inches like normal
-When I press the top button, absolutely nothing happens
-No sound
-No signs that an electrical load is placed on the system (no lights dim or anything)
-Fuse D3 & B6 are intact. I cleaned them and reinserted them anyway
-I removed the relay, inspected it, cleaned the contacts, and knocked it around a bit, then reinserted

I've heard on the '99 cars there is microswtich under the clamshell and one in the b-pillar. But I don't see how these could go wrong when the top hasn't moved.

I've had the car going on 3 years and the top has never given me any issues.

The ONLY relevant things that I can think of that has changed since I last opened the top are:
-I installed a new ignition switch
-I installed a new radio head unit
-We had a big rain storm and the car was parked outside. I couldn't feel any significant water egress inside the car, but it was a bit 'moist' or humid inside, like water had seeped through the top. It doesn't appear that any of the top electronics would be vulnerable to water, am I correct? Also there don't appear to be any other electrical issues.
-EDIT: Also, and I doubt this is relevant, but the driver side heated seat button 'fell' out of its mount recently. I gather it's near the handbrake switch, so I thought i'd include it.

Last edited by Spirit_RE; 12-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #2

Could be the rely just failed. I think on rennline site there is a diagram on a way to pull the realy and use jumpers to lower the top, you might give that a try it would at least confirm or eliminate the relay. Just a suggestion.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:25 AM   #3

Garage
Is the parking brake light on? If not it could be that switch is bad which would cause your top not to operate.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Could be the rely just failed. I think on rennline site there is a diagram on a way to pull the realy and use jumpers to lower the top, you might give that a try it would at least confirm or eliminate the relay. Just a suggestion.
Renntech site
Old 12-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #5

just a shot in the dark....have you verified that the top latch handle is all the way unlatched and that the latch switch is working properly. I think you might be able to actuate it by inserting something into the hole or use the red clip
Old 12-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

I keep a hardtop on my 986S most of the time. After about a month of staying down and not moving the soft top button does nothing. Gain access to the soft top motor under the clamshell (there is a guide for manually gaining access) and have someone lightly tap it with a hammer while you push and hold the button to move the top. This has worked perfectly for me for two years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stiffler style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

Take the relay out and check for corrosion on the connector blades. I had to replace mine to get the motor to work. Replaced the hand brake switch, too. My clamshell recently jammed in a closed position, I had to lift the clamshell by hand and prop it up with 2x6 blocks--then unbolt the clamshell from the linkage arms. With the clamshell removed, you can get to the transmissions and the motor.

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote