986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Litronics headlights with washer function (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74011)

Luckyman01 12-04-2018 05:23 AM

Litronics headlights with washer function

Did 986 every come with this function? I see used lights on line with the corner piece that supports the washer. Can/will this work in my 2000 S?

rick3000 12-04-2018 06:33 AM

It was a required option with litronics, but it is not required for installing litronics, it's a separate system. You can just replace the corner piece with a regular clear one.

P_Carfahrer 12-04-2018 08:53 AM

I installed Litronics on my 2001 and added the clear corner pieces instead of the washer corner. The clear corner pieces are expensive locally and the best place to get them is from eBay from a place in Latvia. It is all above board and their customer service is great.

To install the Litronics you also wire in the controller. I believe there is writeup on how to do it on Pelican parts.

CliffA 12-04-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyman01 (Post 584614)
Did 986 every come with this function? I see used lights on line with the corner piece that supports the washer. Can/will this work in my 2000 S?

my '04 came with Litronic headlights with the washer feature.....the washers work but i don't know how well in reality....

cliff

Qckslvr 12-04-2018 12:15 PM

my 02 S has them as well. I thought these were the worst headlights in the world as they did not light up the road that well. I discovered while changing out my rear axles that the car apparently has a ride height sensor in the rear that controls the headlights. And it is common for the sensor arm bracket to break. I replaced it, and now I can see well :D

As for the headlight washers.... I have no idea how well they work.... or even how to use them :p

I am sure they are tied in with the wiper squirters?

CliffA 12-05-2018 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qckslvr (Post 584654)
my 02 S has them as well. I thought these were the worst headlights in the world as they did not light up the road that well. I discovered while changing out my rear axles that the car apparently has a ride height sensor in the rear that controls the headlights. And it is common for the sensor arm bracket to break. I replaced it, and now I can see well :D

As for the headlight washers.... I have no idea how well they work.... or even how to use them :p

I am sure they are tied in with the wiper squirters?

i discovered how mine work by accident....i think the headlights have to be on and then you push the wiper lever forward to activate the headlight washer....

cliff

10/10ths 12-05-2018 05:14 AM

Not to be snarky.....

...but does ANYBODY read their owner's manual?

It's all in there.

kk2002s 12-05-2018 05:37 AM

Mine came with them. I made sure they worked in my garage once a couple years ago. I have never used them driving. I have never even thought about them until this thread or when I have to take out the light housing because they get in the way and I'm afraid I'll break them so they don't work anymore even though I don't use them

And come on, nobody here drives these cars in the rain or winter so when could you use them.

78F350 12-05-2018 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 584684)
...but does ANYBODY read their owner's manual?

It's all in there.

True, but when I want a practical answer, I can get it here: Porsche Boxster and Cayman Discussion Forum, DIY Technical Advice, Parts and Cars for Sale - Welcome to the 986 Forum! pretty quick without having to dig out and search though a paper manual.

Q: I haven't bough a 'New' car for over a decade. Do they come with electronic touch screen owner's manuals yet?

I keep a copy on my smarty-phone now.