Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 07:12 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Top Issues . . Sort of

Thought this story might give you a laugh, I had to laugh at myself on this too (well after the 4th beer).

The Tale begins:

It was a bright and sunny day here in Texas with just a few clouds in the distance and my wife needed to go to the grocery store for a few items, she suggested we take the Boxster since it was a nice day.

We take the long route to the store enjoying the ride and pull into the parking lot an hour later (yes we took the long route, store is only 10 minutes from our house). By this time a few more clouds have formed in the sky and I decided to raise the top in case of a quick shower, that's where it all begins!!, I still have the car running and parking brake set and when I push the button . . . Nothing! Top will not raise, windows do not lower, no noise from the motor,

Needless to say I start to freak, since this is the first time I have had any issue to deal with, so I just say to myself that I will fix the problem when we get home and we rush into the store to get a few things and run home before it rains, well almost made it (the last light we had to stop at got us wet).

I go upstairs and get my "Bentley Bible" out and at the same time searching this forum to see where my problem was at or if anyone had the same problem before, and it seems nobody has had the same issue, most were always the top will not lower. I then go into the garage with my bible and poke around and read, then poke a little more.

Now as always when a guy is trying to work on his car the wife walks out to see what is going on, now I have to look like I know what I am doing on top of my "read & poke" routine, now she wants to help! (The girl that can not pump her own gas wants to work on my Boxster!!).

She starts by asking what I thought was the problem, well I say it could be this or it could be that and I might drive into the dealer after it stops raining to have them check it out . . . So as we sit in the car pondering the problem, me reading and her looking cute, she then points up and say's:
"You think that little Red clip up there has anything to do with the top not going up?"

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Thought this story might give you a laugh, I had to laugh at myself on this too (well after the 4th beer).

The Tale begins:

It was a bright and sunny day here in Texas with just a few clouds in the distance and my wife needed to go to the grocery store for a few items, she suggested we take the Boxster since it was a nice day.

We take the long route to the store enjoying the ride and pull into the parking lot an hour later (yes we took the long route, store is only 10 minutes from our house). By this time a few more clouds have formed in the sky and I decided to raise the top in case of a quick shower, that's where it all begins!!, I still have the car running and parking brake set and when I push the button . . . Nothing! Top will not raise, windows do not lower, no noise from the motor,

Needless to say I start to freak, since this is the first time I have had any issue to deal with, so I just say to myself that I will fix the problem when we get home and we rush into the store to get a few things and run home before it rains, well almost made it (the last light we had to stop at got us wet).

I go upstairs and get my "Bentley Bible" out and at the same time searching this forum to see where my problem was at or if anyone had the same problem before, and it seems nobody has had the same issue, most were always the top will not lower. I then go into the garage with my bible and poke around and read, then poke a little more.

Now as always when a guy is trying to work on his car the wife walks out to see what is going on, now I have to look like I know what I am doing on top of my "read & poke" routine, now she wants to help! (The girl that can not pump her own gas wants to work on my Boxster!!).

She starts by asking what I thought was the problem, well I say it could be this or it could be that and I might drive into the dealer after it stops raining to have them check it out . . . So as we sit in the car pondering the problem, me reading and her looking cute, she then points up and say's:
"You think that little Red clip up there has anything to do with the top not going up?"

Hi,

From the mouthes of Babes... Cute story...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Haha, Happened to me before but without the rain. I needed to protect my skin from the sun, by the time i figured it out i already had small 1 millimeter sized waterfilled blisters on my forearms.

Quote:

The Tale begins:

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #4

Very funny, Travis. Good story.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
FIG

FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #6

Great story! Kind of strange for me also since I am waiting on my "red clip" to come in the mail even as we speak!!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
bmussatti

Great! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #8

Good story - well told!

I've freaked out before when my top wouldn't go up only to realize after a few frantic moments that I had released the e-brake...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:

The Tale begins:

LOL. what color is your boxster?
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 AM   #10

What color is your boxster?

FAHGETABOUTIT! My monitor didnt pick up your different colors so well so I didnt notice it was a lovely Arctic silver like mine.

BTW, arctic silver is the fastest color out there.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:56 AM   #11

I coated my red clip in a spray-on black plastic enamel to blend in. Your story makes me wonder if that was a good idea... ;-)

Current Condition:
2002 Basalt Black Metallic Boxster

Prior Symptoms:
1984 Guards Red 944
fishage is offline   Reply With Quote