Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #1

Track numbers on car for DE event

I will be attending my first DE event this Fri and Sat, and was wondering what solutions people here have used for placing numbers on their Boxsters for a DE event. So far, the best idea I've come up with is to just "write" the numbers on my side doors using racing tape as a "pencil". If I go this route, are there any types of tape (duct?) that may damage the paint and that I should avoid?

Old 09-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #2

I made a great set at Kinkos.
I printed out the number and had them enlarge and laminate.
Took a pair of scissors and cut about a half inch from the number.
I then went to staples and bought a pack of these magnets that affix to the back
of business cards to place on your refrigerator or other metal surfaces.
The whole thing cost me less than $15.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
bmussatti

This is what the Chicago PCA recommends:

"Your local instant sign shop can make magnetic, vinyl adhesive and static cling numbers. Static cling numbers can blow off at high speed. Magnetic numbers should be taped to prevent movement.

For track events the number must be at least 6" tall on the sides and 8" tall on the hood, contrasting with the body color. Autocross only requires the number to be displayed on each side. The three-letter region abbreviation is not to be displayed."
Old 09-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #4

Thx guys.
Perfectlap, did you find the Staples magnets strong enough to hold the numbers in place on the track? Did you notice any marks on your paint from the potential minor movements between the magnets and the paint?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #5

use some clear box tape around the edges to reinforce it. I've forgot to remove my numbers after one event and didn't realize it until after I was on the highway and they didn't blow off. The first time I used my numbers I did notice some light marring of the paint from the magnets which came out with some Poorboys SSR 1 (by hand). I'd probably stick some wide width blue painters tape to the area of the doors before sticking the numbers back on again. and add some wax to the door in the future. Which ever magnetic numbers you use it would be wise to do this.

p.s.
magnetic numbers won't work on your hood since that part is made of aluminum.
Find out if you do need numbers on the hood. Be careful storing the numbers and do so on a flat surface you don't want that laminate to bend
Old 09-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #6

I like the laminating idea. If I'm going to use tape to reinforce the magnets, then why use magnets at all? Shouldn't just clear box tape around the edges be enough to hold it?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:07 PM   #7

For Autocross where speeds don't exceed 80mph(anymore then it wouldn't be an autocross!) the magnets are plenty. That with lots of abrupt turning and jarring too.
Clear box tape can be a pain to remove so keep it affixed to the blue painters tape and not the paint itself. The painters tape also comes in red which might look nicer around the edges of your number.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #8

I have a Gerber digital press and plotter which is what most sign shops use to make multi color vinyl stickers and decals. It can print an unlimited number of spot colors as well as 4 color process. I believe I have some of the magnet material lying around somewhere as well which can be printed on AND die cut-great for removable numbers and it is made for automotive applications so no further taping should be needed. Of course I am not sure if it has been tested up to 149 MPH :chicken: My plotter is broken at the moment but should be repaired in the next couple of weeks. If anyone needs lettering or graphics let me know and I will cut you a great deal. I believe that Gerber introduced a vinyl last year which has a temporary adhesive (2year rating). If there is enough interest I can look into ordering a roll but I am sure it is bound to be expensive. Generally speaking normal vinyl can be pulled off the same day with no ill results to the finish.

I just did my first DE at Mid-Ohio last month and it was THE BEST!!! I really enjoyed it and I am sure you will enjoy yours as well. Good luck and have a great time.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #9

"Clear box tape can be a pain to remove so keep it affixed to the blue painters tape and not the paint itself. The painters tape also comes in red which might look nicer around the edges of your number."

I assume this means that the painter's tape is less problematic for the paint than the box tape. In that case I don't see the need to use the clear box tape, unless I'm not understandingthings correctly. I could just use the painters tape to hold the laminated number. Btw, I just laminated them this afternoon.

der Geist, thx for the info and offer. I'll give the laminate idea a try and see how it goes from there. Perhaps I'll get some more ideas from other people at the event.

Looks like my first track day (Limerock) is going to be a rainy one.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #10

Another prior thread with more info on this topic is here .

Good luck on your track event, focus on the smoothness, esp. if it is going to be rainy!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #11

"Good luck on your track event, focus on the smoothness, esp. if it is going to be rainy!"

Thanks donv. I just realized... If it rains and I must keep the windows down, that means rain (and spraying from other cars) just gets inside? Nice.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
"Good luck on your track event, focus on the smoothness, esp. if it is going to be rainy!"

Thanks donv. I just realized... If it rains and I must keep the windows down, that means rain (and spraying from other cars) just gets inside? Nice.
If I am not mistaken I think I remember reading somewhere that you can have the windows up or down, the only requirement being that they were both completly up or completely down. You may want to check with the organizers as I think this rule varies from region to region or track to track. It's a great question-Is there anybody here that can shed a more difinitive answer on this?

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #13

I just made some numbers out of blue painters tape. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but probably about half of us did that so I didn't really stand out. Painters tape come off without damaging anything or leaving any residue.
binaryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #14

In my region it is windows down, no matter what conditions. Hand gestures for passing signals are required - hand outside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist
If I am not mistaken I think I remember reading somewhere that you can have the windows up or down, the only requirement being that they were both completly up or completely down. You may want to check with the organizers as I think this rule varies from region to region or track to track. It's a great question-Is there anybody here that can shed a more difinitive answer on this?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #15

"In my region it is windows down, no matter what conditions. Hand gestures for passing signals are required - hand outside the car."

Same thing here, I'm afraid. Hopefully the interior doesn't get messed up too much.