Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #1

Ignition Disabler Problems

well, i'm in a bit of a quandry. recently, my car intermittently would not start. eventually, it quit starting all together; acc power would not even come on. ignition switch, i thought, so i replaced it. now the acc power comes on, but still no start.

i decided to diagnose whether it was the starter or the transponder system. i bypassed the start lock relay and the car turned over, so my issue is the transponder system. this leaves me with three potential problems:

transponder signal transformer
transponder coil
ignition disabler computer

my car does not have an alarm; it only has the base ignition disabler. i tested the transponder coil and got a reading of 25 ohms with the key in the ignition. since i'm now in the territory of expensive parts and potential dealer diagnosis, i'm a bit sick about it. does anyone know how to troubleshoot this system? any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #2

well, my manual tells me that 25 ohm is correct for the transponder coil. that leaves the signal transformer and the alarm computer unit.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #3

problem solved. i was checking voltage to the transponder signal transformer; there was none. turns out the button at the center of the ignition switch was not being pressed by my ignition lock (need a new ignition lock). in the meantime, i wired a switch to 68S and 30 on the ignition switch so i can short the terminals and start the car.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #4

Help

Here it goes. I got into my car today when start the car and nothing . When i went to jump start it off another car .. nothing. Here is the weird thing the interiors lights turn on and also the radio can be turned on. The instrument cluster
lights do not come on when you open the door but if you press one of the stalks on the cluster it lights up.. I checked most of the fuses but nothing .. PLease help.. though me some ideas. MY AOL screen name is arlindanchris and yahoo name is arlindanchris .. HELP ME PLEASE

Last edited by clb0099; 09-11-2006 at 03:01 PM. Reason: BIG PROBLEM
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote