986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Spoiler Doesn’t Work - ‘97 Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73123)

TNT79Bronco 08-26-2018 05:37 PM

Rear Spoiler Doesn’t Work - ‘97 Boxster

Spoiler doesn’t extend at speed, nor does it work with the switch. The spoiler light comes on in the dash at speed. Swapped in another spoiler mechanism, thinking it might be a bad mechanism, and no luck there. All fuses and relays have been replaced.

HOWEVER, with the manual switch (by fuse box) unplugged, and I connect the rear wiring harness to the spoiler unit, I can hear the relay clock, and it will raise the spoiler about 1/2” and stop. If I unplug and plug back in, it will go up another 1/2”. I kept doing this (duh!!!) and got a fully extended spoiler.

I figured out how to “hot wire” it to retract it, and then extend it again by swapping the (-) and (+) on the green/yellow and blue/green leads on the spoiler motor harness. All works smoothly.

I tested the switch by the fuse panel and it passed.

Also, I tried to make heads or tails of the wiring diagram. I’m more mechanical oriented than automotive electronics. I just got a headache!

Any advice on how to troubleshoot? Not really sure how the wiring is designed to make it function.

square-root 08-27-2018 09:00 AM

I might have the same problem, bought a spare spoiler assembly to swap it with. Following this thread to see if anyone has any ideas.

Long shot: Ignition switch? Or perhaps there’s some sensor which triggers prematurely?

TNT79Bronco 08-28-2018 06:05 PM

I need help. I have been digesting the wiring diagram for the spoiler. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the spoiler switch by the fuse panel, switch power or ground? It goes right to the instrumentment cluster.

2. When the Boxster comes to speed, does the instrument panel send 12v to the extend relay, or does it switch a ground, to complete the circuit? Same thing for the retract relay?

Thanks!!!

Turbodad 01-05-2019 01:22 PM

Spoiler not working

Any updates? Have you resolved the problem?

TNT79Bronco 01-05-2019 01:47 PM

Yes. I checked and tested all parts of the system, and narrowed it down to a bad instrument cluster. The cluster controls the up/down at speed. Found a cluster with about same mikes and all works great now.

Anker 01-06-2019 12:16 PM

How many miles to the mike? :-)

Zibodo 01-18-2019 04:52 PM

OK just catching up on an old thread. Since I cannot see the spoiler while driving, and I usually driver alone, I don't know if it's working. Is there a way to check? What triggered me was your comment about the light on the sash. Is it supposed to come on when the spoiler is deployed? I have a '98 and the spoiler does deploy using the under dash switch.

TNT79Bronco 01-18-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zibodo (Post 587650)
OK just catching up on an old thread. Since I cannot see the spoiler while driving, and I usually driver alone, I don't know if it's working. Is there a way to check? What triggered me was your comment about the light on the sash. Is it supposed to come on when the spoiler is deployed? I have a '98 and the spoiler does deploy using the under dash switch.

Easiest way is to fet someone to follow you when you go 75 or so. You could also put a piece of tape on across the spoiler, and check it after zippy drive.

No, the light comes in if there is a malfunction with the spoiler.