Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Garage
Subframe Removal Advice

Long story here...but in working on a suspension refresh I may be at the point (thanks to corrosion and snapped bolts) where it makes sense to just replace the front h subframe. Anyone removed this item before? I only ask because it looks as straightforward as unbolting it from the car and control arms and lowering it, but I wondered if anyone else had experience with what else might come with it when lowered? Anything to be aware of? Thanks in advance.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Straightforward. I believe you need to unbolt the rack also
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks for that. Got the old one down. Ended up supporting the fuel tank with a jack stand as I wasnt sure how far it would drop. All came out well. Now I'm waiting on the new frame and then will have to repair some shredded threads for the control arms to the body. A lot more than I bargained for, but it will be cool to say i did it when it's all done.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Thanks for that. Got the old one down. Ended up supporting the fuel tank with a jack stand as I wasnt sure how far it would drop. All came out well. Now I'm waiting on the new frame and then will have to repair some shredded threads for the control arms to the body. A lot more than I bargained for, but it will be cool to say i did it when it's all done.
You will need the help of a body builder to torque the bolts on the subframe
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
You will need the help of a body builder to torque the bolts on the subframe
Oh boy. Haven't looked for torque values yet.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:33 AM   #6

I think the highest torque is like 118. no big deal.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #7

Sorry to jump on an old thread but what do I need to disconnect to drop the front subframe, I need access to replace rusted brake lines.
I have loosened the x6 subframe bolts but am guessing I need to separate the steering shaft from rack at least before dropping, do I need to undo strut top mounts?
Any help appreciated
Thanks Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spemato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spemato View Post
I have loosened the x6 subframe bolts but am guessing I need to separate the steering shaft from rack at least before dropping, do I need to undo strut top mounts?
Hello Craig,

No, you don't need to separate the steering shaft from the rack, but you need to remove the bolts that secure the rack to the subframe, if I remember correctly I held the rack to something above it (cannot remember what..) with a couple of zip ties to keep it ouyt of the way. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #9

That’s great Gilles thanks for the advice much appreciated I assume you mean the x2 bolts or so that go through bottom of subframe?
Will give it a go tomorrow, I have managed to remove the old brake pipes which were in a real mess, I lost brakes when one of the steel pipes ruptured not the best experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spemato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spemato View Post
That’s great Gilles thanks for the advice much appreciated I assume you mean the x2 bolts or so that go through bottom of subframe?
Hello Craig,
Yes, these bolts attach the steering rack to the subframe and you will be able to hang the steering rack (w/zip ties) without disconnecting anything from the steering system while you lower the subframe.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #11

Hi Craig,

I just saw your post and was wondering how you got on with the front brake line replacement? I have to do the exact same job and there is such little info on doing this job online. Did you have to undo the strut top mounts in the end? Any tips on this job would be gratefully received ;-) Thanks in advance, Tim
horizoncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #12

Garage
I replaced my front subframe a coupe of years ago, when I put on GT3 LCA:s I noticed a crack in the frame. I got my replacement from a 996 turbo, the same part.

The whole operation was straight forward, just take your time.
I just had one incident that you should stay away from. The 18mm bolts on the "hockey stick"-like part is bolts the subframe to the frame with a torque of 160NM.
Be very sure not to mess up the threads, I obviously put in one of the bolts just a bit in an angle and almost damaged the threads. With 160NM you want to keep the threads in good condition.

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote