Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

Door Lock Help

Hello all. I'm looking for some guidance on where to start here. I have a new to me 1999 boxster. The car is a bit rough and I probably shouldn't (wouldn't) have picked it up if I had looked at it harder, but that's another story. Essentially all this to say I've ended up with an almost 20 year old German car with electrical issues for me to track down. It's now a project car for me and I'm looking to do as much of the work I can myself.

Onto the problem. The doors do not lock or unlock. The button on the center console does nothing and the red light does not
come on at all. The key also rotates 90 deg left and right in the door freely but nothing locks and the fob buttons do nothing. I have just found out an after market alarm system was previously installed and uninstalled before I purchased the car. It also had a window relay replaced (I don't think this has to do with anything but just putting the info out there.) I've been researching everything I could about problems like this and haven't found anything quite the same. The car starts and drives (sort of, again another story), the windows work, and the trunk and frunk both open. The only other weird thing I notice is the cabin light doesn't come on at all either. I was wondering if when an aftermarket system was installed was the factory door lock system bypassed and if so where can I hunt that down and reverse it.

I checked and the floor dosent show any signs of water damage and I checked the fuse on the side of the CLU. Really just looking for guidance on what to try. Anything I can do to help able to lock my car.

ZoomGlide125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
There is no way to bypass the lock portion of the immobilizer (CLU) under the seat. It also controls the windows and other electronics. I'd pull it out and look for evidence of past water damage inside and check for cut wires. It sounds like the door latch mechanisms aren't communicating with it.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

Garage
My 2001 had all of these problems. I replaced the drivers side door latch abs all my problems were resolved.
Garymyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #4

Awesome thanks, just wanted to know if somebody bypassed the system. Good to know that's not possible. I ordered parts to fix the door latch earlier so hopefully that will do it. If not the hunt for cut wires will begin. Thanks again for the help!

ZoomGlide125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm , clu , door lock , locks