Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
BusterBoxster

Clikcking into gear

Took the 2002 Boxster S out today and had an odd sensation as I put the car in second after leaving a traffic light. Everything was warmed up as I had be driving about 25 minutes or so when it happened. The shifter seemed to “CLICK” into Second. It has never done that before. And I noticed it immediately. It did the same thing going into 4th. I was super sensitive to all the gear shifts and they seem fine at times but the moves into the 2nd and 4th definitely seemed different for the whole rest of the drive. It wasn’t necessarily hard to put into those gears, and it didn’t grind, it simply clicked. Wondering what may be wrong or going wrong?? Any advice will help ease my mind...

BusterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #2

Garage
Boy, its hard to understand what you are referring to.

It is normal for a synchromesh transmission to Give a little resistance when the synchro engages and then click into gear when the synchro has done its job. If that's what you are referring to its normal. The hears also have a detent that ensure that the car stays in gear and doesn't go out of gear unless you deliberately do it. The detent also can be felt as a click.

Based on the above, I'd say its strange that you don't get the click in all gears! :-)
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #3

Garage
Stock Shifter?

Is it the original shifter knob? When I bought my 99 Boxster it came with an after market shift knob installed and it clicked at every gear change. The original knob was in the glove box so I switched it out and the clicking went away. The click didn't bother me, I just preferred the original knob over the el cheapo LED one the previous owner had on it.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here though.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHeinzky View Post
Is it the original shifter knob? When I bought my 99 Boxster it came with an after market shift knob installed and it clicked at every gear change. The original knob was in the glove box so I switched it out and the clicking went away. The click didn't bother me, I just preferred the original knob over the el cheapo LED one the previous owner had on it.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here though.

Yes, it is the original shifter knob. The feeling is hard to describe. I’m used to it just seeming to glide into gear with almost the touch of just two fingers. When this happend it was more like there was a little resistance to putting into gear and then it slapped down into second. The first time it had this odd feel I actually looked down to see if something fell down next to the shift knob or anything looked different, but of course it didn’t.

BusterB is offline   Reply With Quote