Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

Water pump out. Question..what would you do?

Hello folks. My water pump is going out, no fluid dump, only a leak with accompanying rattle from bad impeller bearing present.
Had the car flatbedded home, but it's backed in and I would like to turn the car around to work on it. So the question: Would you start the car and move it, or push it?
I'm paranoid about breaking bits off the impeller by running the engine, but pushing the car out, turning it and pushing it back on the garage is going to be a major chore with my driveway.
What would you do? Thanks in advance for your answers, funny and serious.

Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

Garage
If you're afraid to start it get a couple of guys to come over for "Beer" and when they get there tell them they have to help you push the car in the garage before you give them any beer.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #3

I would push it forward 2 feet and do it where it sits.

I DO like the beers idea (also tell them you have pizza). LOL
Old 08-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #4

Tell a couple of guy friends you have a hot 22 year old friend stopping over and they really should be there, then hit them with the news she cancelled but since they are there help move your car. Then have them order pizza and you provide the beer.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
MWS

I'd push, or if it's just you, maybe get creative with ropes...find (or create) a secure anchor point on the wall, attach a rope to the car then while your in the driveway (with a little push) you could lower the car to you; for putting back, attach rope to other end of car, and attach your end to another car and pull the Box back to garage. Admittedly, the potential for catastrophic failure is high, but in theory, it should work. Still, I'd prefer to use muscle. As example, many years back I was at a party and a few of us thought it would be funny to move the car of the person throwing the party (as they had passed out); they had a two car garage, and we opted to place his car perpendicular to the garage walls...with about 4" of space at each end. We did this with about 6 people. I failed to mention this was a Super Bowl party and they had to be to work Monday morning, which to us (or the younger versions of us) made it even more hilarious. Strangely, we were never invited back.

Beer is a good idea, but maybe provide AFTER car is moved. As I've grown older, I've also gotten wiser...and in retrospect, the roof would have been far funnier.

EDIT: seriously though, I wouldn't start it. I had an impeller failure years back that I didn't catch for a bit and resulted in a system flush.

Last edited by MWS; 08-08-2018 at 12:49 PM.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Hello folks. My water pump is going out, no fluid dump, only a leak with accompanying rattle from bad impeller bearing present.
Had the car flatbedded home, but it's backed in and I would like to turn the car around to work on it. So the question: Would you start the car and move it, or push it?
I'm paranoid about breaking bits off the impeller by running the engine, but pushing the car out, turning it and pushing it back on the garage is going to be a major chore with my driveway.
If the front of the car is facing downhill I would leave it as is, much easier to fill the replacement coolant that way.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Take off the serpentine belt and drive the car to position it... it won’t overheat the car and discharge battery, but steering would be heavy!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #8

Remove the belt, push the car down the driveway, turn it around, then start the car and get it up the driveway with total run time of less than 5 seconds.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1, do it quick and it will be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Take off the serpentine belt and drive the car to position it... it won’t overheat the car and discharge battery, but steering would be heavy!
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #10

Garage
this is too easy. take the serpentine belt loose and move the car!

While all these ideas are great, just take the damn serpentine belt loose, start the car up and reposition it and be done with it.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #11

Pull the belt, drive it out, turn it around, drive it in. Steering is going to be "armstrong" style, but if you remember to be moving even a little bit while trying to steer, it won't be too bad.

Good luck!

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote