Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Crib

Garage
How bad is my alternator (generator, dynamo)

Hi guys,

It's been a while since i've been on. I bought a boat last fall which has taken my time lately, and most likely made my dear Boxster more than a bit jealous.

The charging indicator came on, and next time i tried to start her up the battery was really weak. I shut if off and tried again and the battery was then all out.

I guess the alternator has seen better days, and when i removed the front engine cover I hear this repeating noise that seems to come from the generator.

So by my description it hear myself that the conclusion seems quite obvious, but i'd anway just like a second opinion from you guys before i order a new one and get to work.

Here's a video with the noise.

http://www.mentions.se/boxster/img/IMG_1360.MOV

What do you say?

Thanks in advance, and cheers!

/Crib

Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #2

Video link won't work. The noise could be just a bearing but no charging would mean the internal regulator might be toast. Have you put a multimeter to the battery while running? Should see 14 plus VDC. If it's charging the bearing can be replaced.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

My alternator......

....died with no warning on a road trip. Car only had about 35,000 miles on her and was 12 years old.

Just R&R the alternator, put in a new serpentine belt, and replace all of the idler pulleys.

It’s a pain, but it must be done.

I’ve seen idler pulleys seize and start runaway engine compartment fires in these Boxsters.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #4

Yeah, I’d have to agree. If things are making noise, and charging is suspect time for a new alternator. And yes, a DYI on that thing really is a PITA... but doable. The biggest issue is the limited space you have to work with. Creative language is helpful, and approaching with a zen attitude will get you through it. Once you wrestle the thing out, it’s not too bad to get the new one in. Done, good piece of mind...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #5

Just had mine fail too. Luckily, the voltage regulator (on the back of the alternator) is replaceable, and only costs $40. 90% of what might go wrong is in the regulator.
Remove your alternator, and then take off the voltage regulator. If the alternator spins freely and smoothly, then just replace the voltage regulator and you should be good to go. If the alternator does not spin nicely, then you'll need to replace the whole thing.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by demick View Post
Just had mine fail too. Luckily, the voltage regulator (on the back of the alternator) is replaceable, and only costs $40. 90% of what might go wrong is in the regulator.
Remove your alternator, and then take off the voltage regulator. If the alternator spins freely and smoothly, then just replace the voltage regulator and you should be good to go. If the alternator does not spin nicely, then you'll need to replace the whole thing.
Yep, did the same thing...

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote