Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #1

Stereo Recommendations

Hi guys!

After about 10 years without a stereo - I am finally getting around to having this sorted. (listening to the engine is quite nice as well!)

Originally pulled the stereo the previous owner had installed intending to go with a double DIN and GPS.

Now looking for a single DIN head unit - as close to stock looking as possible, with Apple car play, bluetooth, etc...

Also needs to work with the OEM rear speaker kit (which has also sat in my basement brand new for ten years...).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #2

Why did you decide not to go with Double DIN and GPS? I went that route and added a back up camera. It updates the car and since Porsche offered a PCM, the Double DIN does not look out of place in the car. I'm also using the rear speaker. Here's some information about my system and the installation: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51283-does-anyone-know-vss-wire-02-bose.html
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #3

Continental probably have the closest to OEM look in the aftermarket for german cars.

https://www.continental-automotive.com/en-gl/Trucks-Buses/Interior-Cabin/Infotainment/Radios
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #4

Conti as mentioned if open to alternatives the Pioneer deh 80 prs is really nice supports active cross overs and has lots of tuning capability.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Conti as mentioned if open to alternatives the Pioneer deh 80 prs is really nice supports active cross overs and has lots of tuning capability.
Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

I was actually looking at the Pioneer DEH 80 as a possible option - do you have any experience with this model?

As for not going double din, really just a personal preference to go with a more minimalist stereo and focus on other things in the car.
VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #6

How bout the Sony MEX M100 BT 160W 40x4 Single din. I like the music of the Flat6 but with the open top you could use a few more amps!
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRsyncro View Post
Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

I was actually looking at the Pioneer DEH 80 as a possible option - do you have any experience with this model?

As for not going double din, really just a personal preference to go with a more minimalist stereo and focus on other things in the car.
I installed the DEH PRS 80 in my car absolutely love it. I have mine set up in network work mode, using a Alpine amp to power 2 mid drivers dash 3” and 6.5” in the doors and a subwoofer I made out of an old 996 cabriolet bose footwell sub. I run 1.5 inch tweeters using the head unit amplifier.

Sounds amazing

Speakers are hertz mille pro 3 way, sub 8” thin mount pioneer.

HU install used the crutfield prewire service so plug and play 10 minutes or 15. That was before i swapped speakers had jbl gto in dash and stick amp running doors sounded excellent.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #8

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I went with the conti for the stock look Bluetooth / USB

https://imgur.com/a/s8AHgAe
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #9

Garage
I just installed a Pioneer AVH-3400NEX. It fits the single DIN slot, but has a 7" screen that slides out and tilts up offering full CarPlay and Android Auto capability as well as Bluetooth, etc.

JDL30 is offline   Reply With Quote