Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2018, 04:34 AM   #1

Immobilizer water proof case Questions

Last year had to replace wet immobilizer, Porsche got me bad, $1700. Carpet is damp again. Paid Porsche to clean drains but they did not. Watched install video of case on Specialized ECU Repair site. Looks simple enuf but have a question regarding install. They did not disco the battery. Did not on my wifes Bimmer once, bag light came on removing seat, won't do that again. I always do it now no matter which car I'm working on. Should it be done as an add'l precaution or should be left alone? My 4C info says to wait 30 mins. once disc'd before doing things with electrics. Not sure about my Exige but do it anyways. I'm new to Forum but not Porsches. Wife has an '06 986 with '05 build date and also have a '75 914 that I'm probably gonna sell due to lack of storage space. Offered it to my son as a gift, likes his Civic better. What is it with this new generation? I'm a newbie to this forum, lots of great info.

Birkinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #2

No need to disconnect battery when installing the waterproof case, at least they don't tell you to do that and I didn't when I installed mine. But aside from possibly having to enter your radio's unlock code and clearing of your emission test ready codes, I can't think of any reason not to.

Specialized ECU recommends that you test things before closing everything up, but I'd recommend that you hold off on testing until it's all back together because you could set an airbag/seat-belt code if you power up with the seat out. I have a Durametric cable, so I didn't worry about that (I just cleared the code).

They recommend that the big connectors be disconnected in a certain order, and I would do it in the order that they show in the video (and in the instructions that come with the box).

Lastly, I recommend that you make absolutely sure that the board is 100% bone dry before you seal it up in the waterproof case.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #3

Immobilizer Removal/Install

Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same way about doing it. Probably ordering the box tomorrow. Cheap Insurance
Old 08-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #4

Why do you need a mechanic to clean the drains? Are you sure that is where the dampness is coming from?

As far as diagnosing the water leak problem, fill a quart jar with water and put a pan on the ground just forward of each rear wheel to catch the water as you pour it down each drain hole. The drains exit just forward of the rear wheels. If you have a full quart after it all drains out, your problem lies elsewhere than a clogged drain. Be sure to check each foam liner drain tray for any rips or tears, especially in the area directly beneath the V-levers that operate the pushrods of the convertible top. If you ever had one of those pushrods break and the V-lever rotated with the broken pushrod dangling, it will invariably cause a tear in the drain tray that will in turn cause water to leak into the passenger compartment.

You can buy the drain trays separate from Porsche.

Porsche calls them "water drip pan" .

The part numbers are as follows:

986 561 805 03 (Left side)
986 561 806 03 (Right side).

They each list for $75.76, but you should be able to get them for less from Sunset Imports.

Replacement is straightforward but a little time consuming. The most involved part is the removal of the three bolts (and either one or two phillips head screws) that hold the base of the convertible top frame onto the car. You will also have to remove the 19mm bolt that holds the V-lever onto the convertible top transmission,
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #5
MWS

The main takeaway from your post is first and foremost that your carpet is damp. The case is a good second line of defense, but you really need to find the source of the infiltration (for multiple reasons)... and I too would suspect the drains. Cleaning is not difficult, and even if your not mechanically savvy, it's not something that you need to have the dealer do, HOWEVER...you stated that you paid them to, and they did not; if service was billed and not done, they really should do so. Additionally, if they are cleaning the drains they should be able to provide information on the condition of the pans.

Regarding the battery, I always disconnect as part of the "better safe than sorry" approach.

Welcome to the forum.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:42 AM   #6

Immobilizer

I've already cleaned 2 of the drains. Not hard. If the Boxster was mine I would have done the drains myself but its wifes car and she wanted dealer to do it, foolish. She paid for it. She learned. Think she forgot I have my own vintage Euro car resto shop. This is the same woman that went thru our front yard after I said not to because of vicious hornets out there. She did anyway, found the nest for me the hard way and got bit 5 times. Nest destroyed, now she won't go out there at all......
Old 08-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkinboy View Post
I've already cleaned 2 of the drains. Not hard. If the Boxster was mine I would have done the drains myself but its wifes car and she wanted dealer to do it, foolish. She paid for it. She learned. Think she forgot I have my own vintage Euro car resto shop. This is the same woman that went thru our front yard after I said not to because of vicious hornets out there. She did anyway, found the nest for me the hard way and got bit 5 times. Nest destroyed, now she won't go out there at all......
I ordered (along with the waterproof ecu housing) 2 strainers to fit over the drain holes under the convertible top, here’s the part number: 987 561 487 00

square-root is offline   Reply With Quote