Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #1

Garage
Top Stuck Down

This morning, I was getting ready to drive the Boxster to work and I couldn't put the top up. I had the parking brake on and the car was not moving but nothing happened when I pushed the button. No clicks and no sign that the motor was trying to push the top up. I tried turning the car off and on and resetting the brake a few times but still nothing happened. I ended up driving a different car to work because the forecast is calling for rain this afternoon but I'd like to be back to driving my Boxster as quickly as possible. Any ideas on what could have happened?

It was working fine just yesterday.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #2

Latch microswitch or ebrake sensor?
square-root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by square-root View Post
Latch microswitch or ebrake sensor?
+1

and 8 more
Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #4

Check to see if your parking brake light is on when you pull handle, if it is not then the parking brake sensor is bad located in the parking brake handle.

Easiest solution but not cheapeadt is the easy top realy, plug and play, micro switch is around $8 but you have to take apart the console, look there is another working aroung where you bend pin 15 I think it is on the top relay then solder a wire the ground it out.

To get top up try working the hand brake up and down to try to jar the switch to close.

If the hand brake light is on then as mentioned the latch micro switch possibly.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #5

Garage
It appears to have been the microswitch. The parking brake light does come on when I engage the brake. I just went out there and tried to push the latch manually with my hand while raising the top and it worked. Which makes sense since I had no problem opening the top yesterday but couldn't close it today, there is a microswitch for each direction. I also got caught in a big construction mess yesterday with a very rough, grated road which could be what knocked it loose.

Thanks for the input all. I have my temporary solution now and when I can get my hands on a soldering iron I should be able to fix more permanently.