Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

My window loosened from clamp and I can't get the new window regulator to align

So I replaced the window regulator and everything lines up, but the window when it goes us bumps against the inside of the door, then retracts again.. The only way I can get it to go through the seal and raise up from inside the door is by loosening the clamps, which allows it to rise but obviously isn't a long term solution. Any ideas/

chromecarz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Have you set the limits of travel yet? Use the window button to put the window up to the top and hold the button down for five seconds. Then run it down and hold again.

Here is the link to Pelican's how to article. The Bentley manual also is well written, regarding windows.

Take your time, the window adjustments can be finicky.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/77-BODY-Window_Regulator/77-BODY-Window_Regulator.htm
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Have you set the limits of travel yet? Use the window button to put the window up to the top and hold the button down for five seconds. Then run it down and hold again.

Here is the link to Pelican's how to article. The Bentley manual also is well written, regarding windows.

Take your time, the window adjustments can be finicky.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/77-BODY-Window_Regulator/77-BODY-Window_Regulator.htm
Come to think of it, I tried that before but not after the new regulator. Will it automatically stop or will it go all the way down in reset mode?

I'll check those links thanks!
chromecarz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I don't remember. The Pelican write up is very thorough. It took a couple of attempts to get it right. I would suggest that you follow the tech article start to finish and see how it goes. A little screw adjustment goes a long way.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #5

Dumb question..... Didja get an OEM regulator, or just one off eBay..... I did the eBay route.... And went nuts with the window getting stuck inside the door..... I even carried a plastic wedge to get it out.....

Mine came with a pop rivet, that I promptly ignored and forgot about..... Yup.... It is required..... It limits the travel of the window when fully down.....

Duh.... I musta had the door apart 10 times before I figured that one out.....

Good luck..... And may I suggest a lot of patience..... And large quantities of a good wholesome beer!

Fred
1096369fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 on the OEM regulators. I tired URO's first. One failed after 6 months and the other side had a manufacturing flaw and it wouldn't line up with the motor. I was able to return both. On a positive note, I sure acquired a lot of experience changing them in/out multiple times.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:22 AM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
To me it sounds as though the lifting rails aren't seated into the door fully, or the clamp keepers have popped out.

+1 on going OE, I picked up a used unit from Woody for mine, though I've done a few Uro assemblies for a local 986/996 owner I know.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote