986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spare tire replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72618)

Porsche9 06-24-2018 10:58 AM

Spare tire replacement

Have any of you replaced the spare tire? I had the unfortunate need to use the spare tire the other week while being about 50 miles from home. It all worked out and we got home, slowly but safely and no damage to th car. The next morning the spare was flat. So, time for replacement, a good idea anyways considering how old the tire is. Just, I could not find the tire in the size needed, 105/95 17. I’ve spoken to half a dozen tire shops, including Tire Rack and a rep from Contenital Tire. The closest in size that Contential Tire recommended is 115/95 17, which is a tight fit for both the tire cover and relative to the hood. Anyone have any experiences with finding a replacement?

Dmitry at Pelican Parts 06-26-2018 11:27 AM

This has been problematic for 996 owners as well, as you both share the same spare tire size. From what I've read, ebay or used are the way to go. Some mentioned that dealers carry new replacements as well, but not all dealerships have them available. Sorry for not having more info! Best of luck.

PaulE 06-26-2018 11:59 AM

I believe tire rubber deterioration is due ultraviolet light, temperature extremes and ozone. Since they mostly lived covered in the trunk, ultraviolet isn't a big issue. Maybe used is the way to go? But your "used" tire failed.

thstone 06-26-2018 08:39 PM

eBay has a lot of Boxster spares for sale. $150 and up.

I recently had a flat tire in my 911SC and had to use the 40 year old spare! It held pressure just fine for the 2.5 mile drive to the tire store.

itsnotanova 06-27-2018 01:18 AM

I sell them for $25-50+shipping. Just saying.
I'd check where it's leaking from before you get rid of it. Could be a bad valve stem. Did you check the air pressure? The bead could have loosen which in return caused a leak. Might just need a good inflate to reseal the bead.

BYprodriver 06-27-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 573880)
I sell them for $25-50+shipping. Just saying.
I'd check where it's leaking from before you get rid of it. Could be a bad valve stem. Did you check the air pressure? The bead could have loosen which in return caused a leak. Might just need a good inflate to reseal the bead.

Good points, tire may not have had 60psi to start the trip, which it needs to support the weight.

PaulE 06-27-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 573896)
Good points, tire may not have had 60psi to start the trip, which it needs to support the weight.

Tires are like balloons, they lose air over time through the rubber. A tire is a lot thicker and it takes a lot longer than the day or so it takes a balloon to lose air, but it happens. This is why you see cars that have sat for long periods with flat tires, the air eventually all seeps through the rubber. That's why it's good to check the air in your spare tire every few months. Having said that, I know that the spares in all my cars are overdue for a check of the air in their spare tires!

022520 07-28-2018 10:45 AM

Woody,

Might be interested in buying a new or used spare doughnut for a 2001 base model. Do you have one and if so how do we do it?

Thanks, Larry