986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Proactively Maintaining a Low Mileage Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72489)

Seadweller 06-12-2018 12:33 PM

Proactively Maintaining a Low Mileage Boxster?

I've got less than 38K miles on my '98. The car has been serviced/maintained well beyond factory recommended requirements. It also has less than 10K miles on an LN Engineering IMS bearing and new rear main seal. All fluids have been replaced multiple times (transmission, coolant, brake), with oil and filter done every year.

I'm going to be having the motor mount changed out in the next few weeks, and was wondering if there's anything else that might be of an age-related concern?

Water Pump?
Chains/Ramps?
Other?

mr.borrie 06-12-2018 01:12 PM

Drive the piss out of iT?

Seadweller 06-12-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.borrie (Post 572778)
Drive the piss out of iT?

Indeed....:D

mr.borrie 06-12-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadweller (Post 572782)
Indeed....:D

Not even really joking, dont think that low milage is good for the components

Cunningr 06-12-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.borrie (Post 572783)
Not even really joking, dont think that low milage is good for the components

Its begging to be driven! :cool:

MWS 06-12-2018 02:46 PM

Well, I've got about the same on my '01...that being said, I should drive it more. To your question, water pump (if never replaced) would be good. With that few miles, how old are the tires?

Gilles 06-12-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadweller (Post 572768)
I've got less than 38K miles on my '98.

Seadweller, even as the mileage shows a car with (extremely low mileage), 10 years later I would have replaced ALL of the rubber hoses, like cooling, hydraulic (slave & calipers), fuel, air, vacuum, AOS, etc.,) as all of these go bad about every ten years..

Now, your car is 20.., perhaps you may want to check out all these rubber parts.

Cheers :-)

PS: O2 pump too

Seadweller 06-13-2018 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 572791)
Seadweller, even as the mileage shows a car with (extremely low mileage), 10 years later I would have replaced ALL of the rubber hoses, like cooling, hydraulic (slave & calipers), fuel, air, vacuum, AOS, etc.,) as all of these go bad about every ten years..

Now, your car is 20.., perhaps you may want to check out all these rubber parts.

Cheers :-)

PS: O2 pump too

Good idea on the rubber components. The brake lines were changed out with stainless steel by the PO, but I'll check the condition of the other rubber hoses.

I do need to drive it more, but just don't have the time. I'm either in my home office or on a plane with a very busy life.

Cunningr 06-13-2018 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadweller (Post 572844)
Good idea on the rubber components. The brake lines were changed out with stainless steel by the PO, but I'll check the condition of the other rubber hoses.

I do need to drive it more, but just don't have the time. I'm either in my home office or on a plane with a very busy life.

I had my indie mechanic give it a good look over on mine when it went in for the Oil and filter change. Not sure he did but he said he didn't see anything that look to be ready to fail do to age. Oct should be my next maint. having the stainless break lines, GT cooling ducts and better pads installed.

10/10ths 06-13-2018 06:00 AM

Air/oil separator, water pump, pull every fuse in the panel and clean all the contacts and put them back in place, buy a bottle of “Gummi pfledge”(?) and apply it to all the rubber seals, and while you have the headlights out, hit that rubber seal also, and pull all the bulbs and clean all of their contacts, replace all the brake and clutch fluid, leave her parked with the top up, but NOT latched, put nitrogen in the tires and spare, treat the leather, slap a CTek on the battery, put Sea Foam in the fuel tank, change the oil every six months, and quit your job and start driving around the country.

Cunningr 06-13-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 572847)
Air/oil separator, water pump, pull every fuse in the panel and clean all the contacts and put them back in place, buy a bottle of “Gummi pfledge”(?) and apply it to all the rubber seals, and while you have the headlights out, hit that rubber seal also, and pull all the bulbs and clean all of their contacts, replace all the brake and clutch fluid, leave her parked with the top up, but NOT latched, put nitrogen in the tires and spare, treat the leather, slap a CTek on the battery, put Sea Foam in the fuel tank, change the oil every six months, and quit your job and start driving around the country.

HaHaHa LMAO:D

Bald Eagle 06-13-2018 06:24 AM

My 2000S has only 32k miles (bought 4 years ago with 10k) so I drive about 5500 miles / year between April through October. I get an oil and filter change and detailed inspection by an indie before putting it into storage. Last inspection showed cracked CV boots which I just had replaced along with new spark plugs which had previously been changed six years ago. Check your cv boots.
Larry (the bald eagle)

ekam 06-13-2018 06:25 AM

Meanwhile, I met this fellow and his 725k miles Porsche...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuvdFN20C2Q

Cunningr 06-13-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald Eagle (Post 572851)
My 2000S has only 32k miles (bought 4 years ago with 10k) so I drive about 5500 miles / year between April through October. I get an oil and filter change and detailed inspection by an indie before putting it into storage. Last inspection showed cracked CV boots which I just had replaced along with new spark plugs which had previously been changed six years ago. Check your cv boots.
Larry (the bald eagle)

Our driving habits are similiar and maintenance!

Seadweller 06-13-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 572847)
leave her parked with the top up, but NOT latched

Interesting...Is there a reason for this?

10/10ths 06-13-2018 01:23 PM

Yes, less stress on the fabric and stitching. And if you have a plastic rear window, less stress on that as well.

mikefocke 06-13-2018 01:41 PM

You can over-maintain a car. Been there, done that, several times.