Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #1

Ohlins R&T installed on my Boxster S

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to let people know that I just got Ohlins Road and Track on my 2001 Boxster S. I was given the car by my father since he can no longer drive. I believe the original shocks were still on the car. I had the Ohlins purchased and installed at Sonoma Raceway. The car is used only for road. The car was lower about 20mm from factory minimum height. Car was aligned and corner balanced, and the 13 clicks from zero, which is on the stiffer side of road settings. Stock roll bars with no preload.

Car feels like a serious sports car now. Ride on most surfaces is much improved. Railroad crossings and speed bumps can be pretty harsh. I have not adjusted anything. I don’t race so I couldn’t tell you what the limits of the car feel like but the car definitely transfers the power to the road better, and the understeer seems almost gone. Steering is quieter. Small stuff on the road is absorbed nicely. You can get the tail to drift out if you push it. They have to be serviced every 30 kilometers. Fun to drive. Haven’t had ground clearance issues. I have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on it. The part number is POS MR80. Do a search on the part number and 986 and you find the Ohlin reference. Fun to drive but I think I have to learn to drive now. Anyway just wanted to let people this is an option for the 986 now.

jts1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Racer Boy

They have be serviced every 30 kilometers? Do you mean 30 K?
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

Where did you get them from? I've heard good things but didn't know there was a 986 Boxster fitment?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Where did you get them from? I've heard good things but didn't know there was a 986 Boxster fitment?
There is a "Where to Buy" link here on the Ohlins Boxster info page...

https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-track/porsche-boxster-1996-2004-986/
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #5

I got them from Performance Shock in Sonoma at Sonoma Raceway. They ordered them for me. It is a little tricky. Ohlins parts numbers are a little tricky. I talked to Ohlins USA also first to see if they were available.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #6

Yes. It is 30000 kilometers service according to the manual. Sorry.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
There is a "Where to Buy" link here on the Ohlins Boxster info page...

https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-track/porsche-boxster-1996-2004-986/
Ha that's good, I didn't even find this link. Reading about them, it sounds like they have a feature like the Koni FSD with the ability to react differently to fast and slow speed bumps, like body roll vs road bumps. Very interesting.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #8

Just a little more info I thought I would add. Tim Barber’s shop at Sonoma (TFB) did the setup. I thought I would give some of the details. They set it for a drivers weight of 170lbs, 40 psi in the tires, 3/4 of tank of fuel. The final corner weights for the car front l/r 760/716, rear l/r 915/861 Total weight of 3250 lbs. Cross: 50.1% with the driver. 13 clicks from zero on all four shocks. Final ride height is 4 7/8 inches front, 5 inches rear. They gave the primary and secondary angles but that is a lot to type in. I found it interesting so I thought I would share it.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1234 View Post
Yes. It is 30000 kilometers service according to the manual. Sorry.
I am surprised that the Ohlin manual mentions km instead of miles because
18,000 kilometers are 18,750 miles and removing the coilovers before they hit the 20k mark seems way too soon.

Last month, during the Festival I asked the same question to the JRZ person and he mentioned that depending on usage (street driven and light track) I should plan to rebuild the shocks around the 50k mark. I got a similar answer from the KW Sales Rep.

Could be that the Ohlin manual refers the early rebuild for a dedicated track car? I hope so, otherwise removing and rebuilding every 20k miles will end being kind of pricey, also, considering the alignment, etc.,

PS: Regardless of what I am saying, the way the car drives after installing a good suspension = priceless
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I am surprised that the Ohlin manual mentions km instead of miles because
18,000 kilometers are 18,750 miles and removing the coilovers before they hit the 20k mark seems way too soon.
Uh 18,000 Km is actually 11,184.6 miles. But I agree seems too soon to have to pull them for maintenance.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Ha that's good, I didn't even find this link. Reading about them, it sounds like they have a feature like the Koni FSD with the ability to react differently to fast and slow speed bumps, like body roll vs road bumps. Very interesting.
I think you will find the Ohlins a much more premium price. I've always thought the FSD a budget non adjustable version of the Ohlins DFV.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
I think you will find the Ohlins a much more premium price. I've always thought the FSD a budget non adjustable version of the Ohlins DFV.
I have been thinking, what if Koni made a height adjustable coilover with FSD technology with some stiffer springs and valved for the stiffer springs, I would get one, I think it would be perfect, I really like the FSD It sounds like the Ohlins R&T would meet that same goal. But $2400... [Edit: more closer to $3000... dang]

Last edited by steved0x; 08-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
I have been thinking, what if Koni made a height adjustable coilover with FSD technology with some stiffer springs and valved for the stiffer springs, I would get one, I think it would be perfect, I really like the FSD It sounds like the Ohlins R&T would meet that same goal. But $2400...
Koni do make coilovers. They just make them with their Sport damper.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
Koni do make coilovers. They just make them with their Sport damper.
Do they have any fitments for the 986 chassis? Maybe it is under their racing section, I am not as familiar with those...
Old 02-02-2020, 07:03 PM   #15
Who's askin'?

Installed ohlins road & track coilovers yesterday. I went with the "track package", which allowed me to select spring rates and have them valved to match.
Spring rates are 450/550.

I decided to pull the fronts back off and add camber plates, more to remove a worn top- hat, than to gain camber adjustment. (Already running adjustable LCA's). Hoping to do that tomorrow.

Waiting on my tarret bars. Once they arrive, I'll get them on and then I'm going to do a driveway alignment and 4-corner balance. I'll be taking it to my race shop to have it done by the pros, but I'm interested to see how close I can get it. Y'know?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #16

Maytag how are you liking the RTs with those spring rates both on street and on track? Also are you running square or staggered?
rockit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:50 PM   #17

I also have the POS MR80 Öhlins on my ride..
Staggered..

Fells just great, but I run the soft setting, which is still on the very firm side..

Currently only street, but track on occasion..

Would I buy them again? a 2500 USD option plus fitment.. most likely not... unless this was my only track car.. then I would...
72StormDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #18
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit11 View Post
Maytag how are you liking the RTs with those spring rates both on street and on track? Also are you running square or staggered?
UMMMM..... they're are AWESOME.

Pretty tight on the street, honestly, but not the worst street-ride I've ever had. And there's enough adjustment to dial some of that out. but at the track? VERY, very good.
I HIGHLY recommend them. The spring rates were perfect for the way I drive. If I had the adjustment turned-up too high, I would bounce over the bumps in the braking zones, so I'd dial it back just a bit..... perfect. very, very good. As you'd expect Ohlins to be.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
UMMMM..... they're are AWESOME.

Pretty tight on the street, honestly, but not the worst street-ride I've ever had. And there's enough adjustment to dial some of that out. but at the track? VERY, very good.
I HIGHLY recommend them. The spring rates were perfect for the way I drive. If I had the adjustment turned-up too high, I would bounce over the bumps in the braking zones, so I'd dial it back just a bit..... perfect. very, very good. As you'd expect Ohlins to be.
What kind of ride height/drop did you experience with these? Trying to stay as close to stock ride height as possible, as that oil pan tray doesn't clear much.
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:39 AM   #20

"What kind of ride height/drop did you experience with these? Trying to stay as close to stock ride height as possible, as that oil pan tray doesn't clear much."

They are adjustable, but they come with a 2,5-3cm drop 1,2 inch

No problem with clearance (in my case)

72StormDk is offline   Reply With Quote