986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Squeak when clutch pedal out (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72309)

soxfan1966 05-25-2018 05:17 PM

Squeak when clutch pedal out

I noticed a weird sqeaky noise the last few days in my 2004 S.

It's there when the clutch pedal is out and it goes away when I push the clutch in or even apply a little pressure on the pedal.

I had my clutch replaced two summers ago, so I don't think it's a bearing or such.

I read some info that it could be a loose heat shield - does that sound fesible?

Other ideas to check?

BYprodriver 05-25-2018 05:48 PM

Usually the throwout bearing.

Brian in Tucson 05-26-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 571266)
Usually the throwout bearing.

Yes, probably. Irritating but there's no great hurry to replace it.

soxfan1966 05-26-2018 06:16 AM

Would the bearing make more of a sqeal / grinding noise as opposed to a squeak?

soxfan1966 05-26-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxfan1966 (Post 571296)
Would the bearing make more of a sqeal / grinding noise as opposed to a squeak?

Here is a video I took of the noise
https://youtu.be/5DNtKoDww6Y

PaulE 05-26-2018 04:53 PM

My 03 S made the same noise a couple of years ago. My mechanic put it on the lift and had someone in the car working the clutch to see where the noise was coming from. He said they do that sometimes but it wasn’t a problem. I forget if he said it was the pressure plate or the throw out arm. I drove it some more and the noise went away. It hasn’t returned.

Geof3 05-26-2018 07:45 PM

Is it when you release the clutch, or does it squeak with the pedal out in general? If it squeaks when you release the clutch, particularly when warm, it’s either your spring, or the slave. Pretty common “issue” that’s really more of an annoyance than an issue.

soxfan1966 05-27-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 571348)
Is it when you release the clutch, or does it squeak with the pedal out in general? If it squeaks when you release the clutch, particularly when warm, it’s either your spring, or the slave. Pretty common “issue” that’s really more of an annoyance than an issue.

It happens when the clutch is fully released, not as I'm releasing it. The video is with the clutch released (pedal out) but not in gear. Makes same noise in gear too.

BFeller 06-09-2018 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxfan1966 (Post 571382)
It happens when the clutch is fully released, not as I'm releasing it. The video is with the clutch released (pedal out) but not in gear. Makes same noise in gear too.

Any update on this?

soxfan1966 06-09-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFeller (Post 572524)
Any update on this?

I talked briefly with the mechanic who did my clutch two years ago and he confirmed the throwout bearing was replaced.

He suggested taking the bolt holding the slave cylinder on and spraying some lubricant (white lithium grease) in the hole to try and lubricate things and see if that helps. I have not had a chance to do that yet, was going to give it a whirl tomorrow if I get the chance.

soxfan1966 06-10-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxfan1966 (Post 572558)
I talked briefly with the mechanic who did my clutch two years ago and he confirmed the throwout bearing was replaced.

He suggested taking the bolt holding the slave cylinder on and spraying some lubricant (white lithium grease) in the hole to try and lubricate things and see if that helps. I have not had a chance to do that yet, was going to give it a whirl tomorrow if I get the chance.

I did not get the chance to do this today, may be another week or so until I get the chance.

soxfan1966 06-18-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxfan1966 (Post 572630)
I did not get the chance to do this today, may be another week or so until I get the chance.

Finally had a chance to jack up the back of the car and give this a try. From what I read, this sounded pretty straight forward but I had a hard time finding where the slave cylinder even was. The info I read made it seem like it was easily accessible from underneath but once I found it I realized it was more toward the top of the transmission as opposed to the side. I did not feel confident I could do this on my back under the car (which was up on jack stands). So I stopped. Checking with mechanic who did clutch to see if he can do this when he has car on a lift.

Unfortunately, while I was under the car looking for the darn slave cylinder I noticed one of my spark plugs coils had a crack - it's at the bottom between the mounting screws but should get replaced. Need to see how many others insame boat (the other two on driver's side looked ok).