986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front cooling fan runs too soon and too often (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72273)

maytag 05-23-2018 05:42 AM

Front cooling fan runs too soon and too often

Hey y'all:
I'm not finding ANYTHING about this with a search. (LOTS of information in the threads about fans running after the engine is turned-off, which mine does NOT do).

My relatively-new-to-me '03 Boxster S (147k miles) has started to run the radiator fan VERY frequently. I noticed saturday that it would cycle a couple of times while sitting at a stop light. It wasn't more than 75d (f) here that day. The temp gauge shows just barely above 180d and holds, with very little fluctuation either direction.

This morning as I let the car warm-up before leaving the garage, the fan came on within about 2 minutes of starting the engine. Coolant temp wasn't even registering on the dash at the point. it only ran for about 30 seconds, then back off.

I've read about needing to clean debris from these radiators, so I'll get to that this weekend. I've also read about temp sensors that can go bad, but not clear on whether it's the same sensor feeding the dash / gauge?

Any help is appreciated.

dav9515 05-23-2018 09:01 AM

over 180 degrees the fan will/should come on. Also if you have the A/C on the fans will come on as well, are you sure it was off?

Quadcammer 05-23-2018 09:17 AM

how are you verifying the fan running? There is an engine compartment fan that may be the cause of your scenario A, and scenario B may be the SAI pump

Geof3 05-23-2018 09:56 PM

Yeah, the start up fan is the SAI pump. It kicks off pretty early. If just idling, your fans will kick on and off normally. It is possible your radiators need to be cleaned out, might also want to check your coolant, and if it’s not been done recently, perhaps have your coolant changed. The fan, may or may not run after your car is shut off. Usually, if I’ve been driving pretty hard, my fan won’t be on when I turn the car off, but might come back on after sitting in the garage for a bit. If your temp is stable, I’m not sure it would be much worry.

maytag 05-24-2018 04:07 AM

Thanks guys.
Yeah, it's not the SAI. I have a separate problem with it, so I've become quite familiar with it, haha.
No, this is quite clearly the front fan. Very loud, very high speed.
Im going to try again here inn a few minutes, where it's been sitting overnight. But this time I'll be sure the A/C is turned off. I'll bet I'm gonna learn something! Haha

Thanks for your help guys!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quadcammer 05-24-2018 06:24 AM

maybe take a look at your relays to see if they are operating properly.