Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #1

Garage
2000 S model idle issues

Hey everyone. I've been having issues with my boxster. I keep getting the two codes saying that the mixture is lean, but yesterday something different happened. I was stopped at a light and the idle started dipping down like I was running out of fuel then shot up to 2000rpm for a second then came back down. I've already replaced the maf and aos and also checked the oil cap. Could it be the oxygen sensors going bad and trying to correct a problem that isn't there?

Sdav86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
Hope this is some help even though it is an uneducated guess, but easy enough to check.
I would look to the fuel pump relay...you can feel if it is getting hot, plus you can jump it out (its right next to your foot) and you could have a failing fuel pump as well. You can hear a failing fuel pump sometimes.
Check for leaks on the replaced AOS, I had the issue with mine after AOS service and that was what was wrong. (I didn't get any codes on this, however)
I would think the oxygen sensors would send a code if they were failing, not sure. also, the o2 codes only indicate something is out of whack, doesn't mean "bad sensor"
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #3

Garage
When I first started having the codes pop up, I went ahead and replaced the aos. That solved it for a couple months then they came back so I replaced the maf. Same story. Ran fine for a couple months then the codes came back with another one saying that the idle rev was too high. I haven't heard any noise from the pump indicating that it's going out, but that doesn't mean anything. I've also had a fuel treatment done just in case the injectors were fouled up. The car only has 99k miles on it.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Please post the most recent codes...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Have you cleaned the throttle body? If not give this a try.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
Have you cleaned the throttle body? If not give this a try.
I have. I also took off the intake and cleaned it.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Please post the most recent codes...
I'll have to do that after work. The batteries in my reader died and I have to get ones ones after I get off
Old 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

Garage
Just a quick update. I replaced the oxygen sensors and it seemed to help, but now I have a new issue. The car is acting like it isn't getting enough gas when I take my foot off the gas peddle. As soon as I take it out of gear, the car shuts off as if I turned the key. No sputtering, just shuts off. When I turn the key again, it fires right up. I suspect either the fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator might be to blame. As always, your opinion is valued