Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Garage
Convertible Top In Manual

My top stopped operating today. The motor is running, but something binding and found the push rod on the passenger side broken at the ball joint end. Until I get it diagnosed/repaired I converted it to "manual mode". I disconnected the push rods on both sides by popping the ball joints out on one end and the clips to the clam shell on the other end. The top and clam shell are both free to manually open and close, however.... the clam shell on the driver's side does not want to drop flush. Perhaps I'm blind, but the arm seems to be fully sliding on the track and I cannot see anything binding to prevent it from falling flush. The passenger's side drops fully down, just the driver side is up an inch or two. Anyone????

samg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #2

The arm can be bent. In fact the clam shell is probably bent too. The motor and transmissions can do all sorts of damage. On mine, most everything was bent. I still haven't gotten the passenger side to drop properly.

Also, check the alignment of the two transmissions the left one has the microswitches but if it doesn't stop at precisely the same time, top and clamshell can be out of synch.

I'm to the point that I'm considering taking it to a convertible friendly body shop to get things worked out.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #3

Hard to say without looking at it, but I'd guess a bent clam shell too. Most of the clam shells I sell are to people who bent theirs. Easy way to tell is to take the clam shell off and lay it on flat ground.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Garage
My passenger side keeps popping out too. The clamshell is straight though. Indie said the passenger side mount for the top tranny is bent. Porsche shop fixed it and it still keeps popping off, so the left side tranny is doing all the work. So much for Porsche design. If it happens again, I will convert to manual. I think part of the problem is the sheet (****************) metal Porsche used to mount the top trannies. Just my opinion, but I am fed up. Good luck.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #5

Garage
The same thing happened to mine. I've had three different people work on it, and the left side is still not flush. The right side is fine. For now, I am living with it.
astrayelmgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

Garage
This is my first time on since I started this thread... sorry.... Thanks guys for your replies, it helped. It does appear to be a warped clam shell.

samg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote