Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Key fob - won't stay shut

My key fob keeps popping open and won't stay shut. Last week when I got home from work I noticed the fob was apart and the circuit board was missing. I found that part, and everything still works. However I can't get the thing to close and stay closed. I've currently got it so it's being held closed with a few small pieces of Scotch tape. Not the most spiffy looking thing.

Anyone have a similar problem, and have a better solution than Scotch tape?

soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
There are two tabs that hold the circuit board in. The top of those tabs will prevent the case from fully closing if they are bent outward even a little. Just take the circuit board out and bend the very top of those tabs inward with needle nose pliers.
Also, make sure the rubber seal is not interfering.

Sometimes, the case is just warped, too. A new case, or at least the button half, would fix that.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #3

That helped, thanks. Not perfect but seems to be holding together and I didn't need to use tape (though I may add a few small pieces of black tape just to make sure)
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

You can buy just the button half and it will click into place. I just did this for a 2004 I bought where the prior owner had it lashed together with electrical tape. "Transmitter Case, Upper Half, 3-Button" from Pelican and it was $15

Todd Mac is offline   Reply With Quote