Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #1

Boxster skips at high rpm

03 Boxster S. I noticed that the car had to be turned over longer than usual to start a couple days ago and I didn't think anything of it. I did notice a new sound coming from what seemed like the right side of the car in front of the dash. It sounded like something trying to adjust itself over and over. It kind of sounded like the flaps in the air vents adjusting and not finding a stopping point and then re-adjusting. Yesterday went out and car cranked fine and drove to the gas station about 5 miles with no problems. After leaving station I got about 3 miles down the road and there was a hesitation like I took my foot off the gas then put it right back on. After about another mile it started to fumble and loosing power to a point that I pulled over. After pulling over it was idling rough and wouldn't take any gas but didn't shut off. I turned the car off then restarted the car and now it will run fine until you hit 4500 RPM then it starts to fumble again until you lower the RPM then fine again. From where the sound was coming from it seems like it could be the fuel pump or relay. Maybe it is getting enough fuel for the lower RPM range but at higher RPM it isn't getting enough. It threw codes P0335, P0336, and P1266. Anybody have this before or have any ideas where to start looking. Seems odd that it happened right after getting fuel.

ctimgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
P1266: Check with your dealer your DME may need a reflash to correct a bug with the DME's code that shuts down the fuel pump at the wrong time.

Also check your fuel pressure and the connector on the crankshaft position sensor.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 04-21-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #3

So if the DME had a bug in it, it would just start having problems after working perfectly before? Can I check the fuel pressure with the Durametric?

ctimgo is offline   Reply With Quote