Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2018, 05:06 AM   #1

Garage
Tiptronic trans

Hey everyone.

My 04 is equipped with the Tiptronic trans and once it's warmed up a little it starts in 2nd gear instead of first. I rarely use the paddle shifters. I want to know if something is wrong or is this normal? Also, it doesn't always automatically shift into the proper gear most times. Example is slowing down to 20mph and then accelerating to get onto an on ramp it'll stay in 4th gear. Is this the normal automatic gearing or is something about to go out?

Thank you

rkeating78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #2

I think it's probably normal, mine does the same. You can use the paddle shifters when it's in automatic mode, you know.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #3

Mine does it also. I almost always use the paddles to get the best performance.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

Garage
Per the owners manual the car is set up to start out in 2nd gear unless the manual mode is engaged.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #5

Both mine did that for economy. Press down really hard on the right hand pedal and you may find yourself in first.

First is such a low gear that you have to shift into second so soon that second works for normal use. I engaged manual maybe 3% of the time, mostly for downshifting on rolling hills at lower speeds in suburbia. A TIP has several programs for when it shifts for you in Auto mode depending on how aggressively it senses you are driving.

The early TIPs need to shift into manual to use the buttons on the steering wheel, the later ones like my '01 you could use the buttons anytime.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

My 2001 S always starts in 2nd when in auto mode. I will usually shift down to 1st when on a steep uphill at a stop light (prevents any roll-back), or if I need to make a *really* fast take-off at a light. 1st gear is extremely low, so you have to shift up to 2nd within about a second. Hardly worth the effort most of the time. You can also shift using the paddles (switches on the steering wheel) in auto mode (over-ride) and the transmission will stay in that gear for a bit, but I'm pretty sure it's not a permanent over-ride.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
Boxing in Australia

Takes a while to learn

i have a 2.7 Tip, 2003, have owned it for two years now. It took quite a while to really appreciate the best way to drive with the transmission. Key benefits to me are using the buttons on the wheel for temporary down-shift for corners and highway overtaking. Full manual control when having fun on tight twisting roads.

The owners manual states that the transmission will start in second for normal driving so this is nothing to be concerned about.I like the way the trans shifts down to suit the road speed when in auto mode too.

Cheers Alan
Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
1st gear is ridiculously low. Like farm tractor low. I rarely use mine. I usually keep mine in auto, unless I am going up hill. Then I switch to manual and keep the revs over 3000. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the IMSB doesn't like lower revs. Left to it's own, the car naturally shifts into 5th ASAP which leads to 1700 RPM on an incline. Even without an IMSB, I wouldn't lug an engine up a hill like that.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #9

Garage
Thank you guys for your knowledge. I'm glad it's normal and nothing to worry about.

rkeating78 is offline   Reply With Quote