Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Speakers in Speedster Humps?

I've searched the web and the forums and haven't found anything on this.

Has anyone put speakers in the speedster humps? Would you need to build an enclosure around the speakers or just let the hump be the enclosure. I want rear speakers and thought of this as an alternate to putting the little speakers in the rear compartment. What other rear speakers options are there?

Old 05-03-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Reviving an old thread

Yesterday received my humps, and was struck with that same inquiry.

Surely it could be done. Couple quick-connects... in and out.

I do have the dash speakers... and a pair of speakers sitting on the engine cover carpet. When I put the top down I lay the speakers on their side... butt them close the the rollbars... and the top sits nicely. However, I "lose" those speakers because they're now pointing upward, and into the canvas top. Thus, muffled. Pointing towards the cabin they're too tall for the top to completely retract without stressing the top hardware.

With speakers installed in the humps... I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. No?

I'm interested in opinions and workarounds...

Thank you.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #3

I do not have humos or using rear speakers, i just installed a killer SQ system. Based off what i found during my reaserch you woul probably need some type of enclosure for the speakers to sound best.

However, with my new set up I have enough power to hear the stero top down with clarity and plnty bass. So my recommendation is change in HU, speakers and decent amp.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I do not have humos or using rear speakers, i just installed a killer SQ system. Based off what i found during my reaserch you woul probably need some type of enclosure for the speakers to sound best.

However, with my new set up I have enough power to hear the stero top down with clarity and plnty bass. So my recommendation is change in HU, speakers and decent amp.
Oh, my system I find satisfying, and the Alpines up front don't disappoint. It's that "wraparound" sound I'm missing with the top down.

Rockford Fosgate Power T400-4 Amplifier frunk mounted
Eclipse CD 5425 Head Unit
Alpine CHM 5620 6-CD changer frunk mounted
Kenwood KSC SW11 Subwoofer 150W passenger foot well mounted
Alpine SPR 50C 180W dash mounted front speakers
Crossfire FX52 100W deck mounted rear speakers (removable)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Oh, my system I find satisfying, and the Alpines up front don't disappoint. It's that "wraparound" sound I'm missing with the top down.

Rockford Fosgate Power T400-4 Amplifier frunk mounted
Eclipse CD 5425 Head Unit
Alpine CHM 5620 6-CD changer frunk mounted
Kenwood KSC SW11 Subwoofer 150W passenger foot well mounted
Alpine SPR 50C 180W dash mounted front speakers
Crossfire FX52 100W deck mounted rear speakers (removable)
Nice setup! Thats the difference with an SQ system goal is to maintain a front sound stage. I have one piece mmissing, my subwoofer. I have a bose passenger footwell enclosure being modified to hold 8” pioneer sub to connect to 5th channel on Alpine pdx 9. I have active config with 3 way component hertz mille, 1.5 tweets, 3” mid in dash, 6.5” doors. Plenty of bass as is but want that sub to finish.

Anyway, you probably need to enclose your rear speakers if you mount in the hump.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Well, with meshes installed, there probably is not enough space for speakers to fit.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Nice setup! Thats the difference with an SQ system goal is to maintain a front sound stage. I have one piece mmissing, my subwoofer. I have a bose passenger footwell enclosure being modified to hold 8” pioneer sub to connect to 5th channel on Alpine pdx 9. I have active config with 3 way component hertz mille, 1.5 tweets, 3” mid in dash, 6.5” doors. Plenty of bass as is but want that sub to finish.

Anyway, you probably need to enclose your rear speakers if you mount in the hump.
Thank you. I'll admit... I had to look up what was an SQ system? Even then I was uncertain if my system qualified. Good to know.

Cheers!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Well, with meshes installed, there probably is not enough space for speakers to fit.
Good point.

Speaker mesh I have considered. The clearance.

I do have the roll-bar meshes installed, and would consider mounting the speakers from the inside... sourcing a slim mesh-type mounted on the outside over the speakers... to look as stealth as possible.

Cheers!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:50 AM   #9

Garage
I have a 99 and a couple years ago I installed 6 speakers in the rear deck storage compartment. Makes a big difference. The only issue I see with the humps is when the top is up you dont have the additional sound.