986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear fog lamps??? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71708)

Brian in Tucson 04-10-2018 04:37 PM

Rear fog lamps???

My 2001 base has a "rear fog lights." What???? Doesn't work, I guess it's supposed to light up when I turn on the fog lights?

I've found I can solder those circuit strips and then clip the strip to isolate from the car's electrical system. I have a choice: make it an extra brake light or make it an extra tail light. I'm trending towards an extra brake light, I'm replacing all the bulbs with beam style LEDs, they are really bright!

particlewave 04-10-2018 04:44 PM

You have one rear fog light (one that comes on, anyway...the other bulb is there, just doesn't illuminate). ;)

rick3000 04-10-2018 06:06 PM

Pull the headlight plug out two notches to activate the rear fog light, I think it's the left (driver's) side.

oldskool73 04-10-2018 08:43 PM

I think it's kinda funny how US drivers seem to be baffled by rear for lights :) Are they not common on US cars or something? They've always been present in the UK and Aus cars I've had.

There's only normally a single rear fog light (so someone behind you doesn't confuse them with brake lights) and it's on the drivers side.

Geof3 04-10-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskool73 (Post 567596)
I think it's kinda funny how US drivers seem to be baffled by rear for lights :) Are they not common on US cars or something? They've always been present in the UK and Aus cars I've had.

There's only normally a single rear fog light (so someone behind you doesn't confuse them with brake lights) and it's on the drivers side.

No, generally in the US we have the usual taillights and a license light. That’s all...

BirdDog 04-11-2018 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskool73 (Post 567596)

Here in the US, fog lights are a pair of front lights, usually set below the front bumper. They provide additional illumination from a slightly different angle than our low-beam headlights. This is said to improve visibility in foggy conditions.

As far as rear illumination, we don't feel a special light in the back for use during foggy conditions is necessary because we would have our (low-beam) lights on which also turn on both of our tail lights.

To those of us in the US, hearing "Rear fog light" is a bit like saying "Rear headlight" or "Front brake light".

"It does not compute..." :)

(just my 2 cents, others may disagree)

Cunningr 04-11-2018 01:57 AM

I am a US citizen but so many years in Europe a rear fog light seems essential to increase safety. I lived 3 years in the UK and that extra red light has helped me avoid hitting people. You have never seen fog until you have to drive with a tire on the edge of the shoulder to make progress.:D

Deserion 04-11-2018 03:43 AM

Had a few VWs that I fitted the rear fog to for better visibility (and also as a "brake" light for tailgaters ;)). My '95 E320 also came with one as well, since they (and Porsche) aren't cheapskates like VW is. :D

PaulE 04-11-2018 05:57 AM

In the US, virtually all of the cars sold with rear fog lights are European cars. I don't think there are any Asian or American cars that are sold with rear fog lights. Here in the Northeast US, many people drive with their fog lights on whenever their headlights are turned on. And in a lot of cases, they keep the rear fog lights too. There must be something about the fog light switch on late model Jaguars, those are the cars that I see most having two rear fog lights lit all the time, unless it is a Lucas electrics failure mode.

Brian in Tucson 04-11-2018 07:32 AM

thanks for the answers, still seems a bit weird to me. And fog is so rare in the desert that I'm probably going to make them into brake lights. Tail gators are much more of a problem than fog here.

Brian in Tucson 04-11-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulE (Post 567627)
In the US, virtually all of the cars sold with rear fog lights are European cars. I don't think there are any Asian or American cars that are sold with rear fog lights. Here in the Northeast US, many people drive with their fog lights on whenever their headlights are turned on. And in a lot of cases, they keep the rear fog lights too. There must be something about the fog light switch on late model Jaguars, those are the cars that I see most having two rear fog lights lit all the time, unless it is a Lucas electrics failure mode.

Lucas, the prince of darkness

Why do Brits drink warm beer? Refrigerators by Lucas!:chicken:

oldskool73 04-11-2018 07:52 AM

It's actually illegal in Australia to "use any fog light fitted to the vehicle unless the driver is driving in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility", $100+ fine!

For a country of convicts we sure do love us some laws!

PaulE 04-11-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 567640)

Joseph Lucas company motto? "A good days' work and home before dark!"

ekam 04-11-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 567640)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blqpeF3Upx8

BirdDog 04-12-2018 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunningr (Post 567613)
...You have never seen fog until you have to drive with a tire on the edge of the shoulder to make progress.:D

Oh, I've been there!

Back in college (many, MANY years ago)... somewhere between Albany and Sycracuse NY I hit fog so bad I had to use a flashlight and follow the center line of the road (with my drivers door open), praying that the guy who painted the line didn't run out of paint or paint it over a cliff... I was moving all of about 2 mph... Took forever to make it out of that fog...

Yes, Yes, I was young and stupid... today I'd just wait for the fog to lift.

pidj 04-12-2018 03:21 AM

I have them on my Audi - as a Canadian, I am cultural hybrid of the US and Europe. This means that I enjoy high fat foods but deplore firearms for 'protection'. It also means I'm accepting of European road rules etc. since they drive with more people on the road, less straight-aways and are frankly better trained (as drivers). I too was surprised at this rear fog light phenomenon but it makes sense and certainly handy in the winters!

jc888888888 08-29-2018 02:22 PM

wow this forum is awesome ..being a yankee I knew nothing about a rear fog lamp but went out to the new car for me.. turned on the rear fog lamp and bingo one light went on drivers side ..i was getting ready to change a bulb on the passengers side ... so i said self..let me do a little reading..and low behold only one fog lamp in rear ..i would have been crazy trying to change the other one that never would have worked:) thanks

BoxMann 07-14-2019 07:00 PM

Just noticed in the Owners Manual that my car has rear fog lights. So, I just went to the car a few minutes ago to see what they were. The left rear tail light is a lot brighter (about like a brake light), but that's it.

Just wanna confirm, is that all it's supposed to be, or do I have a bulb out?

FWIW, I don't intend to drive my car in foggy conditions, so it's probably all moot anyway.

10/10ths 07-14-2019 07:07 PM

Confirmed.

That’s it.

Starter986 07-15-2019 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMann (Post 599357)
Just noticed in the Owners Manual that my car has rear fog lights. So, I just went to the car a few minutes ago to see what they were. The left rear tail light is a lot brighter (about like a brake light), but that's it.

Just wanna confirm, is that all it's supposed to be, or do I have a bulb out?

FWIW, I don't intend to drive my car in foggy conditions, so it's probably all moot anyway.

Definately got a bulb out, or you need a new ignition switch. Not unusual for it to not illuminate. Immediately have it towed to the shop.