Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Radio bracket question

Ok have instructions from cruthchfield watched numerous videos. Is it possible that my car has a factory radio with no frame installed? Only metal frame i see is one about 6 or 8 inches back held in by 2 torx screws either side, only way to remove it would be to take all the ac control surroundings out. It looks to me like my single din would slide into the bracket. Other issue the mounting ring with replacement feels just a bit wide for the hole, is this normal? Wasnt really planning on filing anything.

Update on project:
Left door speaker box finished except mounting speaker and making air holes

Dash speakers, 3 inch mounted need to solder connector
Tweeter pain in arse, needs better mount solution using wire tie as a strap to hold in place until i can find a better solution. Its a 41mm tweeter

Need to run wire for tweeter to hu location.

Alpine amp on hand with cai mount plate

Factory interface soldered up and ohm tested.

996 pasenger sub box waiting on 8” pioneer that a guy is going to mod into the box for me.

Conclusion
Project probably over skill level, so testing my patience.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:04 AM   #2

Anyone no help? lol
Old 04-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

Mine already had an aftermarket single DIN stereo fitted when I got it, it was in an aftermarket cage and the cage was sitting on the support you mention deeper in. I had to remove the bar and drill out the rivets holding the supports to it to fit a double DIN.

I'd assume that you'd want to use the cage for your new stereo even if the original one didn't have one, and to do that you're going to have to remove the surround pieces to fit the cage and bend the tabs anyway, it's not hard to get it all off there, few screws and it just pulls out.

oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote