986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   So looks like water pump time? A question... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71569)

Geof3 03-31-2018 08:20 PM

So looks like water pump time? A question...

So, looks like a water pump is in my nearish future. I found a tiny bit of dry coolant just under the pulley this weekend doing an oil change. Very small amount, completely dry. Odd. Anyway, going to keep an eye on it, but most likely will be changing it sometime in the near future. The question I have is regarding coolant drainage. I just flushed and replaced my coolant about 2k ago, and would rather not do it again. The 986 service manual mentions using coolant hose clamp/s to minimize the loss of coolant. The question is which lines? Just the line going into the water pump, or both coolant and thermostat? Or, just deal with it and eat 5 gallons of coolant? Another thought is, if drained into a clean bucket, is it reasonable to reuse as the coolant is reletively new?

rp17 04-01-2018 01:02 AM

You can reuse the coolant like you stated. I would drain it all in a clean bucket and use distilled water to check for leaks.. remember to use a new washer on the coolant drain plug. then drain and add the expensive stuff. Bout to do mines here in a couple weeks or so.. keep us updated.. What pump are you using? I'm using a pump from Fcp. Free replacements and sounds good for this application. Pierburg if not mistaken.
Others may add to this. Few threads already...

rick3000 04-01-2018 05:49 AM

I would buy a mesh paint strainer and a new 5 gallon bucket, then drain the coolant and reuse it. It will be easier and less messy than dealing with clamps, and you don't have to worry about damaging any of the hoses. I wouldn't worry about reusing relatively new coolant.

Geof3 04-01-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 566723)
You can reuse the coolant like you stated. I would drain it all in a clean bucket and use distilled water to check for leaks.. remember to use a new washer on the coolant drain plug. then drain and add the expensive stuff. Bout to do mines here in a couple weeks or so.. keep us updated.. What pump are you using? I'm using a pump from Fcp. Free replacements and sounds good for this application. Pierburg if not mistaken.
Others may add to this. Few threads already...

I’ve already got Porsche blood in it, so that’s easy. No other leaks either. I’ve read that a tiny bit of seep from the pump is “within specs”. Whatever that means. I think the most challengeing part would be transferring a bucket full of coolant to some other container. Or, just buy a pump and call it good. I will most likely go Pierburg or just do the Porsche pump, Suncoast has them on sale for 260.00. And of course do a low temp thermostat while I’m there.

dav9515 04-03-2018 03:34 AM

i just did mine and used the Porsche OEM pump from Suncoast. the Pierberg could have saved a few bucks but for some reason i justified the OEM for slightly more. My thinking, if i ever sell the car the OEM part makes the next person a bit more comfortable with the work done. may be true, may not.

Deserion 04-03-2018 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav9515 (Post 566907)
i just did mine and used the Porsche OEM pump from Suncoast. the Pierberg could have saved a few bucks but for some reason i justified the OEM for slightly more. My thinking, if i ever sell the car the OEM part makes the next person a bit more comfortable with the work done. may be true, may not.

Pierburg is the OE manufacturer of the pump, for what it's worth. :) When I did my pump change, it was identical to the original unit except the Porsche P-triangle had been ground off.

kk2002s 04-03-2018 03:52 AM

I thought Pierberg is the OEM for Porsche water pumps. Porsche certainly does not manufacture water pumps. (if they did, their bearings would only last a couple thousand miles)

I find the key to parts replacements is to figure out who makes for Porsche and buy direct. You just don't get the pretty Porsche box.
Though I did buy last spring a new Oil filter housing, that was Porsche in a Porsche box.
I framed the box and hang it in my living room, next to my van Gogh

Geof3 04-03-2018 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 566910)
I thought Pierberg is the OEM for Porsche water pumps. Porsche certainly does not manufacture water pumps. (if they did, their bearings would only last a couple thousand miles)

I find the key to parts replacements is to figure out who makes for Porsche and buy direct. You just don't get the pretty Porsche box.
Though I did buy last spring a new Oil filter housing, that was Porsche in a Porsche box.
I framed the box and hang it in my living room, next to my van Gogh

I went with Porsche. Suncoast has them for $260.00 currently and purchased the Wahler low temp thermostat. Good thing is, I bought some Esco jack stands as well to add to my everyday regulars, 'cuz we ALWAYS need at least one new tool per job, correct?

dav9515 04-03-2018 02:31 PM

nice, i did the exact same purchase. Just had it all installed at a local shop along with new Motor mount and UD pulley.

now if the snow would just stop here in the northeast!

rp17 04-03-2018 05:01 PM

I bought my pump from FCP Euro. Free replacements so how could you go wrong. Pierburg pump at that. I'm on my 3rd set of brake pads on my beater. One side was wearing out fast but who cares? Took it back to autoxxxx and got another set! Pumps are good for 3 years maybe? Hoping for the same...